Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
New ex-pat member here. JUst a question about services at the dealership. In Australia, the first service is free when you buy a new bike. My question is, should I bring my bike in to the dealer for the first few services as they cost $300-600 each? This is after paying the initial cost of about $18,500 for the bike to begin with. (now I bet you are glad you still live in the USA):) Or can I do what the dealer will, at home, in my garage for a whole lot less? Is there anything that needs adjustment that I cannot do at home, such as fuel injection, cams etc.? I'm not a motorcycle fixit wizard but I can do alot of minor stuff at home. I plan on buying a 1200 sportster custom next month and want to have an idea about after sale costs. I do have a service manual for the 1200 sporty so I won't be totally in the dark.
Any feed-back would be great! Thanks.:USA:

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I brought mine to the dealer 1st while I bone up on sev. manual the do the small stuff. oh sorry welcome

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I expected to bring it in for the first couple of services because I understand the need for proper adjustments but always on the lookout to save a buck if I can.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
If a service is free, have them do it, maybe take your own oil for half the cost.

After that, take it back if something is wrong but never again pay for anything you can do yourself. A lot of people seem to think throwing money at the dealer results in some sort of blessing or talsiman benefit. Myself, I think more of someone smearing dogshit on my bike and robbing me for the favor.

If you do everything yourself, you'll always have the best mechanic you can afford. Never some jerk who doesn't care and who you can't find to throttle, when you figure out he didn't do something properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If a service is free, have them do it, maybe take your own oil for half the cost.

After that, take it back if something is wrong but never again pay for anything you can do yourself. A lot of people seem to think throwing money at the dealer results in some sort of blessing or talsiman benefit. Myself, I think more of someone smearing dogshit on my bike and robbing me for the favor.

If you do everything yourself, you'll always have the best mechanic you can afford. Never some jerk who doesn't care and who you can't find to throttle, when you figure out he didn't do something properly.
:Thanks Nathang
I was wondering about that stuff. Does the warranty get effected if it isn't serviced at a dealership? I agree wholeheartedly about the do it yourself thing too. I do take pride in doing my own repairs and services.

·
Out Riding
477 Posts
I would get a factory manual and do the service yourself. As long as you document that the service was done (keep the receipts) it will not affect the warranty.

·
Registered
40,737 Posts
:Thanks Nathang
I was wondering about that stuff. Does the warranty get effected if it isn't serviced at a dealership? I agree wholeheartedly about the do it yourself thing too. I do take pride in doing my own repairs and services.
Warranty is not affected in the US due to the consumer protection act known as the Moss-Magnusun Act. No idea about Aussie laws.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Warranty is not affected in the US due to the consumer protection act known as the Moss-Magnusun Act. No idea about Aussie laws.
:Thanks
I will check into that here. I guess I can just ask at the dealership and hope I get an honest answer but I will have to see what my consumer rights are here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get the manual. Nothing is really difficult to do or to get to on a motorcycle. You won't need a lot of special tools to do services.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts