Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello by the way I am new to this forum. I live in St. Charles MO and have ridden my Harley thousands of miles. I truly love the independence I have and I now understand the kindred spirit of being a rider. You gain thousands of friends the day you take your first ride. So - Hello

My question is - I dropped my bike in the gravel. Going downhill - on a very rough gravel road and hit my front brake and down I went. I have a 2000 Sportster 1200XL Custom and fell in love with it the day I bought it. Either way when I dropped it in the gravel my Quick detach windshield was scratched. Is there anyway to fix it - other than buy a new one. Is there some rubbing compound to make it, at least, less noticeable. I thought of using clear nail polish - but I don't want to rig it. Any information about that would be great.

And yes - it was suggested to buy a new one and also "don't drop it in gravel". LOL I get it. Why do other girl riders - back seat riders hate me for wanting my own bike and riding it - anyone know that answer? Seems odd.

Thank you guys. Loretta​

·
Registered
40,782 Posts
Don't use nail polish, some have acetone in it as a solvent, which will turn clear plastic white.

You might try something like this 3M Headlight Restoration Kit or the plastic cleaner or plastic polish.

Should be able to find it at an automotive paint or supply store.

When riding on gravel, if you lock up a brake, it is better to lock up the rear brake than it is to lock up the front brake as you found out.

I guess the back seat riders are jealous. <shrug>

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Walmart automotive section sell's a kit that is for repaing scratched plasic. it's with the wax's they also sell something called plastix that may do the job depending on how bad a scratch. P.S. wecome. Weman are less acceptng of other wemon stepping out of the preconceved rolls that they see as normal, don't pay attention to them you're a trail blazer. Go enjoy life

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Hi Lorreta,

We have several female riders as members here and each and everyone is more than welcome.

Are the scratches real deep? if they are not that deep maybe this product Harley sells will work. Click here

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Hi Loretta,
Ed beat me to it with the Novuus recommendation. Give it a try. I think you'll like it.

How badly is it scratched up? You may just learn to like the battle scars and won't bother replacing it.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thank you guys. Some of the scratches are deep. It just sucks. But to one's point - "learn to live the battle scars" - good concept. Like the one that runs down my shin on my left leg - while taking the Harley Riders Edge course. But I stuck in there. That is my first battle scar. I will try the stuff you guys recommend. Thanks so much.

My Dad would kick my butt for having this bike. But then I was never much on listening to what "I can't do". Makes me want it worse. Love riding - love meeting the genuine friendly people everywhere. The waves as you go by - knowing - we are all friends with at least one thing in common.

Thanks.​

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
But then I was never much on listening to what "I can't do". Makes me want it worse.
Well then you can't come to Texas and spend the weekend with me.

<What do you think, Dave? Nice try, huh?>

Welcome BIK88CHK. Enjoy your visits here.

I looked in my garage but the windshield I had for your bike is gone. I must have already passed it along. Sorry.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey

It was a nice try. After my first day of riding in the Riders Edge course and got the scar on my shin - said I was not ever going back. Had it not been for all the pain pills and muscle relaxers I probably would not have. I rode much better that day. Which is scary.

I have five brothers - so I am the ultimate tomboy - who likes her hair and nails to look nice.

But yes - nice try and perhaps I am thinking on it.

You all have a good day.​

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
you can have it pinsrtriped or buff it out if you dont know how to have someone do it for you i buff headlights all the time(I wish they were girls)that get scratched and there plastic I use 3m diamond cut compound and low speed on my buffer and they come right out

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
If it really bothers you, then get a new one. Otherwise, if it's not interfering with your line of sight, let it go.

Welcome to the site. Hopefully soon we will get to the point where the gender of a rider is a non-event.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The important thing is that you didn't get hurt too bad and I suspect you learned a valuable lesson. You don't want to be grabbing front brake in gravel or mud or anything slippery. A good reminder might be a scratched windshield. Just so you don't think I am a smart alex I did the same thing myself once.

Any lesson learned that doesn't hurt you too bad is a good lesson I think.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scrinch - I agree. I tried some of the above ideas and it helped. Some are just too deep. The bike is exactly what I need now. Been riding 3 years - it's paid in full - practice bike. Because secretly I stop and look now and then. But thanks and I understand what you mean.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Hopefully soon we will get to the point where the gender of a rider is a non-event.
Hopefully I will never get to the point where any lady's gender is a non-event :rofl:

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Amen, but what's a motorcycle got ta do with it ;)

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
There's a limit to the amount of chrome you can bolt on to a lady.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
There's a limit to the amount of chrome you can bolt on to a lady.
no, actually you should have said there is a limit to the amount of chrome you can TASTEFULLY bolt on to a lady.

My little step brother and a lot of his friends (girls too) have multiple holes in everything you can put a hole into on their body, with every sized barbell made sticking out of everywhere. I just wish those damn things were magnetic, I could have a lot of fun!!! Plus, remember Madonna's chrome bra from several years ago?

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My neighbor is 22-23 years old. He has both his nipples pierced and has smiley faces for summer time. Christmas trees for Christmas - and - so on and so on. I just laugh. He actually has a girlfriend. Hope he never gets in a fight - that would hurt to have one ripped out. LOL

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
welcome..

pay no attention to the passengers of other bikes.. i LOVE having my own bike and couldnt see myself on back for any length of time.. there are a few guys i would take rides from but as for being a passenger all the time.. i think its not built into me . .

and when you are ready to move up .. because you stated this was your starter bike.. you should check out a v-rod.. very comfortable and easy to handle you will be surprised..

i had a sportster years ago and compared.. that thing beat the hell out of me ..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts