Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did try this Griot's Ceramic 3-in-1 wax on my '14 Blackened Cayenne Ultra. As most of you know I absolutely hated the results and posted my disdain...

I will NOT use this on dark colors! or on older bikes that have less than perfect paint.

This one is different... Her Silver n blue Sportster...
It seems no matter what i do to polish and protect this bike. There are these light scratches that appear just forward of the seat on top of the fuel tank... She's one of those ATGATT (All the gear, all the time) types... So I know it isn't a zipper tail scuffing the tank. She has two different mesh jackets. Doesn't seem to matter what she's wearing.
But sure is something scuffing it..

Every time that bike gets a water bath, i end up going over the tank again with scratch-x or HD's scratch n swirl remover (same chit) then wax.
It doesn't seem to matter what wax i use. Tried Turtle, Mothers CA gold, Meguarier's and even hard floor paste wax.

Those pesky scratches just keep on appearing!

So once again i am rubbing out those same scratches. Then looking around the garage for what to try this time?
This ridiculously overpriced bottle of Griot's is staring back at me...

I'm half skeered to use it! I remember all too well, just how difficult this is to get back off!

Is it worth the risk?
So my question is... Will this chit prevent these scratches?

Or is there something else I am doing wrong?

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
44,706 Posts
Doubt that 3n1 stuff will prevent scratches.

Don't think anything will short of 3M Clear Bra/vinyl wrap.

Reactions: SCHMIDTY

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should mention, these scratches are similar to fingernail scratches on a cars door well.
There's one small scratch that's too much for the scratch-x stuff. Some things we just gotta live with...

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
44,706 Posts
Yep, clear bra after using a buffer and polishing compound. Something like Meguiar's 83 and 205.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Be careful with removing those scratches too often. The clear coat is microscopically thin and if you polish through it it will be noticeable forever. I did a spot on my 2007 E.G.. :mad:

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
44,706 Posts
Be careful with removing those scratches too often. The clear coat is microscopically thin and if you polish through it it will be noticeable forever. I did a spot on my 2007 E.G.. :mad:
Man, the clear on my 2005 was thick!

Wet sanded a couple times and didnt go through it. Black Cherry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts