Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to purchase a road king custom used. I have been looking at eBay and different places. I have decided I want a 2004 or 2005 road king custom with fuel injection. I am sure its not rocket science, but I don’t understand how people are buying and selling these bikes for higher than the book price from NADA or Kelly blue book. Can anyone explain that to me? I have checked on a new Road king and the price is 17,300.00 advertised for a 2008 new bike. From what I have seen, most people want several thousand dollars more than the book price for a 2004, or 2005. Could anyone point me to a place where I can purchase a bike at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
dewayne... Many H-D owners have a false impression their bikes bring top dollar today as they did 5-15 years ago. It is the past. You could check out Craigslist.com for H-D listings in Tennessee, to see if they're any more reasonable and real world. Here's the Nashville listings: http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/

Here's what I'd to... at eBay or Craig's List, if you see a bike you like but the price is at fantasy levels, send a message to the seller with what NADA or Kelly say. Also let them know aftermarkets accessories often add little to no extra value to a bike (unless it is performance related). Ask them to contact you if they have no takers and are willing to accept a more reasonable price. Additionally, with autumn on the horizon you might find some motivated sellers soon.

HTH, Steve

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
You may also find a better deal and less hassle at a HD dealer(no owner EGO involved). Not the ones that as a matter of routine add 2 thousand dollars to MSRP of course. There always happy to get the older stuff off the floor. Pays to look around several places and watch newspapers classifieds.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I can point you toward a time to buy a bike. In the heart of riding season bikes sell like hotcakes and people arent willing to come down in price. If you wait till fall or even winter you can find a great deal (as stated above) if you have enough patience. Craigs list and your local paper are two good sources that I have found work well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dwayne,
I may have a lead on a road king 07,
was a rental, i road it and almost bought it.
let me know if you are interested and i will get you some numbers.
its in Knoxville area

1 - 5 of 5 Posts