Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stripped thread in my inner primary that secures the outer cover. Someone tried, unsuccessfully, (Not Me) to install a Heli-coil. It works for about 2 weeks then the Heli-Coil pulls out.
It looks like the hole for the Heli-Coil is slightly too large or has wallowed out slightly

Question: Is the Time-Sert insert slightly larger than a Heli-Coil?
Question: If no to the above can you get a oversized insert?
Question: Where can I get a Time-Sert install kit? Amazon.com is out of the size I need (1/4 x 20).

·
Retired citizen
24,357 Posts
The Time Sert comes as a kit that includes a special drill bit, the stripped hole gets drilled oversized. I know the Heli Coil gets a drilled oversize hole too but not as large as the Sert.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Schmidty, Thanks for the response. I am depending on getting a kit.
Here is something else need to think about also.
I don't think it is going to be a problem but something else to worry about.

Depending on which hole in the inner primary, the wall thickness will be an issue for oversize Time Certs.
The hole in question secures the outer case (The one with the drain hole in it) to the inner. The hole is one that is directly in front of the drain hole. The inner case is where the stripped threads are at.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But where can I buy a 1/4 x 20 KIT? Amazon is out of them with no timeline for replenishment.

·
Registered
25,630 Posts
But where can I buy a 1/4 x 20 KIT? Amazon is out of them with no timeline for replenishment.

·
Retired citizen
24,357 Posts
I would try cleaning the hole out real well with brake cleaner, make sure all oil and residue is cleared out. Install a new Heli-Coil with red Loctite and let it set up hard before installing the cover screw to proper torque.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Schmidty. Maybe even a small amount of JB weld on the helicoil threads in the primary cover.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Rusty,

I just checked to see if I still had this old Keensert kit for 1/4X20. I do, but I don't know if you have enough "meat" around your bad thread to use them. They need to be drilled and tapped to 3/8"-16. I don't know where you live, but I do know you are close. If you can use these you are welcome to borrow the kit and the insert is on the house. Phone or text me at the same area code threesixty eightyeight thirtytwo

Wood Font Metal Fashion accessory Plant
Wood Font Metal Fashion accessory Plant

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey folks I found a Time-Sert kit on EBay and have ordered it. It will be in by the end of the week.
Things I need to think about in the mean time are the use of JB Weld dunring a Heli-Coil install and the the case thickness if I decide to use the Time-Sert, Time-Sert being larger in diameter than the Heli-Coil.
I never thought about coating a Heli-Coil with JB Weld or Red Loctite so that is also a consideration.
Thanks for all the suggestions and thanks JLR for the offer but I think I would rather stick with the 1/4-20 size since the all the cover bolts are the same size. Sticking a different size bolt would only create problems down the road.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Heli-Coils are always supposed to be installed with red Loctite, usually done with the Loctite primer before hand to make the bond better.

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Hey folks I found a Time-Sert kit on EBay and have ordered it. It will be in by the end of the week.
Things I need to think about in the mean time are the use of JB Weld dunring a Heli-Coil install and the the case thickness if I decide to use the Time-Sert, Time-Sert being larger in diameter than the Heli-Coil.
I never thought about coating a Heli-Coil with JB Weld or Red Loctite so that is also a consideration.
Thanks for all the suggestions and thanks JLR for the offer but I think I would rather stick with the 1/4-20 size since the all the cover bolts are the same size. Sticking a different size bolt would only create problems down the road.
You misunderstand. The inserts are 1/4"-20, but you have to drill and tap the case to 3/8" to be able to install the 1/4"-20 insert.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JLR. I understand that the case needs to be drilled larger than the insert but in my situation the drilled hole is larger than it should be so the 1/4'-20 will pull out without much effort. Hole is slightly larger than it needs to be. I am hoping the slightly larger Time-Sert will fit nicely.

Incidentally, The Time-Sert has a collar on it so the hole must be reamed out to accommodate the collar. How is this done? Everything I have read about the Time-Sert does not mention this issue. I need a hole in which the Time-Sert is fully imbedded within the case.

·
old scoot coot
5,056 Posts
I have a stripped thread in my inner primary that secures the outer cover. Someone tried, unsuccessfully, (Not Me) to install a Heli-coil. It works for about 2 weeks then the Heli-Coil pulls out.
It looks like the hole for the Heli-Coil is slightly too large or has wallowed out slightly

Question: Is the Time-Sert insert slightly larger than a Heli-Coil?
Question: If no to the above can you get a oversized insert?
Question: Where can I get a Time-Sert install kit? Amazon.com is out of the size I need (1/4 x 20).
oversize helicoils are available. just google them and you will find a supplier.

·
old scoot coot
5,056 Posts
JLR. I understand that the case needs to be drilled larger than the insert but in my situation the drilled hole is larger than it should be so the 1/4'-20 will pull out without much effort. Hole is slightly larger than it needs to be. I am hoping the slightly larger Time-Sert will fit nicely.

Incidentally, The Time-Sert has a collar on it so the hole must be reamed out to accommodate the collar. How is this done? Everything I have read about the Time-Sert does not mention this issue. I need a hole in which the Time-Sert is fully imbedded within the case.
i think a 1/4 x 20 time sert would be too large on the od to go in the primary case hole.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I think you are right Tommy. Those Keenserts I have would require too big of a hole too. I just don't think there's enough meat around the hole that the insert will have to screw into. .

·
Retired citizen
24,357 Posts

The sert kit comes with a drill bit that drills and countersinks the hole in one step. Google it up and check out what's all in the kit.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The sert kit comes with a drill bit that drills and countersinks the hole in one step. Google it up and check out what's all in the kit.
I have a kit coming so Hopefully ......
Also concerned about the hole size. Will there be enough meat left after drilling the hole? Time will tell.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A surprise today.
Got the Time-Sert and decided to fix my oil leak today.
Pulled primary cover off and looked at the problem area. Noted the hole that is damaged was as big as what the Time-Sert needed so I decided to clean it up real good and rebore the hole getting rid of any damaged threads etc. The ineffective Heli-Coil came out while re-drilling the hole.
Used Brake cleaner and air pressure to clean the hole out and low and behold I see that the hole has already been drilled for a Time-Sert. Probably is why the Heli-Coil failed.
I measured carefully and decided to install a Time-Sert insert with out drilling the oversized hole for it and see what happens. Coated the insert with Red Loctite and proceeded to install the insert. Went in without a single issue and held firm. Tried a 1/4-20 bolt to see if it fit. No problems.
Installed the outer cover using 95 in/lbs and the newly renewed hole held nicely. A couple of weeks will be the real test to see if I have been successful.

I would like to say thanks for the help in this project. Will revisit this thread in a couple of weeks to give an update.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts