Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, being new to HD air cooled, I have a question or two about Stage I. I picked up a set of HD Screamin Eagle slip-ons for the wifes '07 Softail Deluxe on the cheap. I need to know, before I get the ECM reflashed, what should I do on the intake side? Do they make a simple screaming eagle high flow filter replacement? I did see a SE Stage I air cleaner on the HD website, but at $140 is kinda pricey. (for me at least)
Thanks
Greg

Edit: wow, this is my first post. I could have swore I posted before. Anyway, I'm Greg from Wisconsin with an '04 VRSCA. Transplant from 1130cc.com. Wife rides an air head (silly her).

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
oops that link doesn't take you to the page, you have to select your bike up on the top left. This is the page I was looking at.

Attachments

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Hey Greg Welcome! Stop by anytime. I believe a Stage one kit has a different backing plate for the air filter?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lake and EZE.
Yes, EZE, thats what it appears to be from looking at the pics on the HD website. Anyone know if it makes a great deal difference to just go with a replacement filter as compared to the Stage I air cleaner "kit"?

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
My two cents--I think the stock cover is all enclosed except for a front area, which is like a plastic shroud that holds the cover & filter in place. The kit has stand-offs so yuo can remove the shroud and exposes the new filter to air all around it thus more air flow. I think???? If you've ever had a older car with air cleaner cap flipped over it would be the same idea.

Just my two cents
Big"D"

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Thanks Lake and EZE.
Yes, EZE, thats what it appears to be from looking at the pics on the HD website. Anyone know if it makes a great deal difference to just go with a replacement filter as compared to the Stage I air cleaner "kit"?
The name of the game is to maximize air flow through your motor. Either with intake or exhaust. The backing plate is one more tool in the arsinal to accomplish that end. As Steve said it doesnt matter much if you use screaming eagle or K&N for the filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, it sounds like you're saying that the Stage I backing plate is the difference maker, compared to just putting a K&N (or like) filter in the stock air cleaner housing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So, it sounds like you're saying that the Stage I backing plate is the difference maker, compared to just putting a K&N (or like) filter in the stock air cleaner housing.
Yes but keep in mind that the bike must be retuned. The ECM will not compensate enough and the motor will run lean.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Greg just one more bit of info. I was told the stage 1 backing plate is larger then stock allowing for the use of a larger air filter then stock.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,197 Posts
Some of the things that make some parts "StageI" or "StageII" don't make much sense alone.

I think they market a StageI as the more free-flow air cleaner and filter assy and slip fits.
Requires reprogramming.

When they do the "StageI Big Bore" kit, you get the Screaming Eagle slip fits, the more free-flow air cleaner and filter assy, the displacement bump from 88 to 95 inches, and a surprising change, they raise the programmed redline from (I think) 5500 rpm to 6200 rpm.

Maybe what would be a very minor difference in the effect of the open aircleaner backplate on a stock displacement bike at stock rpm, might become more noticeable on an increased displacement bike at higher rpm.?

I know it irks me some to think how hot the air coming straight in off the fins is, moving slow in hot weather traffic.

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
That's why I run a Power Commander USB lll...very tuneable,,,,lots of Maps to take care of most situations... I have the program in my laptop and can check mine anytime, just pull my seat and plug it in, can fine adjust it in (3) RPM ranges....very user friendly...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts