Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who out there uses the HD quick detach windshields that clamp on to the forks and require no hardware? I bought one recently and now am a little concerned. I rode my bike to the store thinking it would clamp right on out of the box and I could ride it home. However, the clamps had to be installed first so the parts guy got the service manager to, not only put it together, but mount it on my bike for me (love my dealer! Rocky Mount HD - Rocky Mount, NC).

Shameless plug, sorry, I'll get to the point. Anyway, the service manager broke 2 clamps before he was able to successfully get the windshield on the bike. Apparently there is no room for error in the angle when you place the clamps on the forks. Just wondering if anyone has had or has heard of ongoing issues with this? Defeats the purpose of being able to easily and quickly remove and mount these windshields if I have to worry about breaking something everytime I do it.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
07FXDC... I bought this windshield for my Dyna WideGlide when I had the bike. Brought it home in the box. One night in front of the TV I put it together, went down to the garage and put it on the bike, and it has worked perfectly... easy on, easy off, no stability issues, no marks left behind, loved it.

*** We Interrupt this program***
If anyone wants to buy (cheap) this detachable-no-mounting-hardware-left behind-looks-new windshield for an '05 WG and earlier PM me.
*** Back to the regularly scheduled programming ***

But anyway, the clamps do require a little force to clamp and unclamp but quite surprised two clamps were broken during the attachment to your bike. Didn't think precision was that necessary. My screen went on easily without modification. If it seems abnormally tight or hard, perhaps bring the shield inside, sit in front of the tube :), and try some adjustments. There is some force required for the shield is out in the wind on the ride, but it shouldn't be abnormal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize it should fit good and tight and require some force and the reasons why. I was just a little concerned that the dealer had trouble with it and they know what they are doing. This was the service manager who has, admittedly, put many of these on before - not some kid that just started working there. Thought I'd check to see if this was any kind of widespread issue that I need to be concerned about. Hopefully that's not the case.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I realize it should fit good and tight and require some force and the reasons why. I was just a little concerned that the dealer had trouble with it and they know what they are doing. This was the service manager who has, admittedly, put many of these on before - not some kid that just started working there. Thought I'd check to see if this was any kind of widespread issue that I need to be concerned about. Hopefully that's not the case.

Thanks
I've "built" and installed 4 of these windshields now and if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Here's my tip: After installing the clamps to the windshield, do NOT tighten yet. Then, attach the windshield to the front forks - ensuring that the windshield is mounted straight and the clamps on the left fork line up with the clamps on the right fork. (If you don't pay close attention, it's every easy to actually have the clamps misaligned.)

THEN, and only then, use the supplied Allen wrench to tighten the clamps to the windshield. Failure to follow this step (which is actually documented in the included instructions), can result in the shield binding and stressing the clamps enough to cause a failure at highway speeds or high headwinds. I don't remember the recommended torque setting for the clamps but it's listed on the instruction sheet.

Kudos to Harley for designing a fully functional windshield that is a no-brainer to mount/dis-mount and leaves no ugly mounting hardware on the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts