Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to take my 2009 FXSTC I just bought and had shipped from NH to California DMV to have Vin# check and registered. It has V&H Big Radius exhaust with baffles. A bit louder than legal. I don't know if DMV checks exhaust noise level when registering first time out of state bikes. But, I also do want to attract attention if asked to start it up.
Could I temporarily roll some fiberglass and jam inside without any bad damage to the engine?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Fiberglass will melt. Look on classified for a stock set of slipons. Someone was advertising a free set the other day.I'm not sure of the model or size. Of course I would try to get it threw an if it don't pass worry bout it then.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Considering the luck you've had to this point, I can understand your concern on noise. Can you call the DMV... not the one your going to take it to and see if they measure sound level?? I have a set of stock mufflers from my 03 RK, drilled a couple of holes in the plate, but they are still pretty quiet. If you want em they are yours, all I want is the cost of shipping.. which might be a bit steep IL to CA is a long way.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I don't know the configuration of your baffles, but if you remove them and wrap fiberglass cloth (what body repair uses) around them, they will quiet it down, and will not melt. It is what many mfg. use. Quick silencers can be made if you are willing to drill a 1/4" hole in each pipe.
You can make a "lollypop" by welding a fender washer to a 1/4" bolt and slip it through the hole, and nut it from bottom. Turn it one way for open, and 90 deg. for closed. It should pass sound test. I think they sound horrible, but legal. :bluduh

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Considering the luck you've had to this point, I can understand your concern on noise. Can you call the DMV... not the one your going to take it to and see if they measure sound level?? I have a set of stock mufflers from my 03 RK, drilled a couple of holes in the plate, but they are still pretty quiet. If you want em they are yours, all I want is the cost of shipping.. which might be a bit steep IL to CA is a long way.
I have mufflers from my XL1200C that I took off when I put V&H on it. But, The pipes Ihave on the FXSTC are heat wrapped and I don't knjow if the pipes are 2 piece or 1 piece.

Attachments

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
I think you're going to be ok with it as is - they just want to see you have your paperwork in order and make sure the VIN on your frame matches your title.

From dmv.ca.gov:

Registering a motorcycle in California is basically the same as that for registering a car or registering a new, out-of-state, or never before registered vehicle you'll need proof of ownership (like your title, or the name and address of the lien holder, if you have a loan); and insurance. Unlike cars, however, motorcycles do not require a smog check.

Also, after doing a quick Google search, I found another forum with this answer:

I am a CHP sergeant and I did VIN verifications in the Los Angeles area for a while. The reason for the verification process is due to the fairly high theft rate, especially of parts. The inspection can often be done by your local DMV; however, if they are uncertain of the origin of the bike, or a federal label isn't easily legible, etc.., they will refer you to your local CHP office. To clear up some of the erroneous answers here: We DO NOT pull out a decibel meter (never even had one at my office), we DO NOT disassemble your bike based on a hunch or mere uncertainty, and we have access to confidential computer data bases which the DMV does not. If you were referred for an "assigned VIN plate", one of two things is at issue: 1) you have a replacement/after market frame or, 2) Your frame VIN is illegible. If you replaced the frame with, say, a Paughco frame, you will be given a "blue tag" with a completely original VIN number, based on the chronological sequence of the VIN officer's plates. If the frame is simply illegible, but everything else proves it's truly a Harley and otherwise good to go, ("secondary, confidential" numbers verify this fact), you will be given a blue tag containing the original VIN. This also happens a lot with the military. They transfer back to the states and bring their scooter with them. If it was purchased through AFES or something similar, the process begins. I was in my local Harley dealership buying better speakers when the manager approached me with this exact issue. I was able to verify it in the work area with all the paperwork in about 15 minutes. Also, most CHP officers are not trained to do this and therefore will not attempt it. My local DMV and I had an understanding; if certain marks and colors (of writing and stamps on the forms) were not there, I had not completed the inspection and they were not to process the registration. It sucks that there is such a long wait, but there are a lot of people waiting to have VIN inspections done. I hope this clears things up for you. Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you're going to be ok with it as is - they just want to see you have your paperwork in order and make sure the VIN on your frame matches your title.

From dmv.ca.gov:

Registering a motorcycle in California is basically the same as that for registering a car or registering a new, out-of-state, or never before registered vehicle you'll need proof of ownership (like your title, or the name and address of the lien holder, if you have a loan); and insurance. Unlike cars, however, motorcycles do not require a smog check.

Also, after doing a quick Google search, I found another forum with this answer:

I am a CHP sergeant and I did VIN verifications in the Los Angeles area for a while. The reason for the verification process is due to the fairly high theft rate, especially of parts. The inspection can often be done by your local DMV; however, if they are uncertain of the origin of the bike, or a federal label isn't easily legible, etc.., they will refer you to your local CHP office. To clear up some of the erroneous answers here: We DO NOT pull out a decibel meter (never even had one at my office), we DO NOT disassemble your bike based on a hunch or mere uncertainty, and we have access to confidential computer data bases which the DMV does not. If you were referred for an "assigned VIN plate", one of two things is at issue: 1) you have a replacement/after market frame or, 2) Your frame VIN is illegible. If you replaced the frame with, say, a Paughco frame, you will be given a "blue tag" with a completely original VIN number, based on the chronological sequence of the VIN officer's plates. If the frame is simply illegible, but everything else proves it's truly a Harley and otherwise good to go, ("secondary, confidential" numbers verify this fact), you will be given a blue tag containing the original VIN. This also happens a lot with the military. They transfer back to the states and bring their scooter with them. If it was purchased through AFES or something similar, the process begins. I was in my local Harley dealership buying better speakers when the manager approached me with this exact issue. I was able to verify it in the work area with all the paperwork in about 15 minutes. Also, most CHP officers are not trained to do this and therefore will not attempt it. My local DMV and I had an understanding; if certain marks and colors (of writing and stamps on the forms) were not there, I had not completed the inspection and they were not to process the registration. It sucks that there is such a long wait, but there are a lot of people waiting to have VIN inspections done. I hope this clears things up for you. Ride safe!
That helps set my mind at ease, thanks.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Those are one piece pipes.

I know Cali is strict when it comes to emissions and stuff, but I think you'll be okay.

I took the test for my M endorsement with drag pipes in Illinois. They never said a word.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
roll up metal screen and stuff that inside quiet's down and spark arrester two for one calif is a B/S state

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
1. Put bike on trailer or pickup bed.
2. Disconnect starter solenoid.
3. Swear it died that you're bringing it to the shop as soon as you're done at the DMV.
4. Beer

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled it up, they checked the Vin #'s, told me to go to window 3, paid the $1250 sales tax/ registration, got my CA plates.

:laugh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts