Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a ramble about my afternoon.

I haven't been able to ride for a couple of weeks now, bad weather had settled in along with family responsibilities etc. But then today when I got home for lunch, the weather was glorious...

I checked my motorcycle weather-app, and was glad to see 0.0 mm rain forecast, so I leaped on my heritage and headed out. It's just a short 15 minutes, but I really enjoyed the sound of the pipes and the rush of wind. It was hard to turn off the road to the office... why waste a sunny afternoon at work?!

As I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed just the tip of gray slipping across the edge of the sky, so I decided I better find a covered spot. Fortunately there is a tractor shed, and I was able to squeeze the bike in just far enough to keep it mostly dry.

About an hour later, I started hearing thunder and this crazy storm just tore through, knocking small branches down and blowing like mad...

I just hate riding in the rain.. actually, I really hate CLEANING the bike after riding in the rain even more! Fortunately the storm blew over in about 2 hours and the sun came back out.

As soon as I got off work, I went out and was glad to see that the bike was dry except just a few raindrops on the tail light and one saddlebag, and glad to see that the road was already mostly dry.

I started up and headed toward home. It was great to roll on the throttle again and just listen to the 96 inch motor sing. As I crested the first hill, I noticed black black ominous clouds covering 1/3 the sky where my house is. I cranked harder on the throttle and starting thinking - wow, hope I get home before that weather hits!

For the next 10 minutes, I marveled as I watched the storm taking over the sky. Lightning started flashing and the sky darkened.

Next thing I noticed was that the wind started gusting. I was on the freeway doing 75mph, with Semi trucks all around. I found myself buffeted and blasted by wind more violently than I can remember. Almost lane-changing at times~ wow what a ride!

Still no rain though. I zipped down the side streets quick as I could and thankfully the raindrops didn't start until I hit our subdivision. I pulled up to the garage, jumped off and opened the door. Just as I got the door up, the heavy rain started.

Thankful and dry, ready for another day.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oh you will get hit one of these days. If not you aren't really riding. Earlier this spring when I really wanted to ride to work (17 miles) the roads were all wet, and a 30% chance of storms were present. I could deal with the 30% chance of storms, but I work in an office. I can't show up wet.

Later in the day a major hail storm hit. Completely trashed my truck totalling it. Sure my bike would have made the same fate. Glad it didn't. I did get a new truck and 72 payments to show for it.

Last year I got stuck in more rain storms than I care to tell. If I would have stayed home every chance of rain it would have never gotten ridden

·
Banned
71 Posts
Oh you will get hit one of these days. If not you aren't really riding. Earlier this spring when I really wanted to ride to work (17 miles) the roads were all wet, and a 30% chance of storms were present. I could deal with the 30% chance of storms, but I work in an office. I can't show up wet.

Later in the day a major hail storm hit. Completely trashed my truck totalling it. Sure my bike would have made the same fate. Glad it didn't. I did get a new truck and 72 payments to show for it.

Last year I got stuck in more rain storms than I care to tell. If I would have stayed home every chance of rain it would have never gotten ridden
A good rain suit will keep you dry for work.. :thumbsup

:coffee:

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Great story. Well told.
I have decided that the rain is just part of riding. Sometimes, I will get wet!!

·
Wayward Son
23,356 Posts
If you have`t been wet you have`t ridden.

Years back I was heading home. About 30 minutes out The sky got real nasty to the west. I was heading north east.
While running north the storm was rolling in on me. Every chance I got I would turn east and haul-a$$.
Finally got to the last possible east bound road I could run without over shooting home when I turned back north. I let the old Shovel rip. 2 lane road with little traffic. Hit 90 and was still accelerating, open drag pipes howling at the world. Was settled in, glancing in the rear view mirror watching the black growing thunder heads.
Next thing I know a State Trooper go`s by me east bound. All I can think is "aww HELL!!"
Do`t know if he figured he would`t catch me, or seeing the storm rolling in behind me, knew why I was running so hard.
He never even touched his brake lights.
I got to the north bound road that would lead to my side street. 2 lanes with fairly heavy traffic with the storm almost setting on my left shoulder.
Had to slow down. Got to my side street, rolled into the drive. Got the scoot in the garage. Left the door open and pulled up a chair.
Said a silent Thanks for the safe journey and a to the Trooper. Then kicked back and watched the light show.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
In June 2013 I made a 2 week trip north to Canada and west to the coast. It rained for the first 8 days almost non stop. By Calgary I got caught in a torrential down pour but found a gas station with a canopy to pull into to wait out the storm. Several times we had lightning strike with in 100 yards of where we were. Almost had to change my shorts.
Still had a lot of fun and learned a lot about riding in adverse conditions.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Sounds like a typical day at Sturgis, look which way the storm clouds are moving and skirt around them.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,678 Posts
I think it was in may and east of Kansas city bout 90 miles decided to ride to a friends that lives about 25 miles north of I-70, I checked weather and there was a slim chance of thunderstorms but all day was fine.
But then from the north..big dark sky!! by the time I hit highway going by the first town on way to friends...I hear the sirens going off and a couple miles down the Hwy I see storm chasers with camera's out.
Two miles outside of small town friend lives in I look to my west and a rolling massive cloud is off to my west and wind and hail kicks in.

I made it to a Caseys gas station outside of town they had doors locked but let me in (power was off) Bikes under canopy and stuff is flyin around..I faced my bike as so the wind had a less chance of blowing it over. I thought my bike would have hail damage,but I was lucky not a single ding or anything.

I get to my friends and he thought I was nuts when I told him about it..but what else could I do..LOL Friends power was off for a couple hours and we sat in his garage and watched the towns people drive around looking for damage

Half hour later weather was perfect for my 70 mile ride home :blahblah:

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,522 Posts
Seems like lately any time I get more than 50 miles from home I get hammered by the weather. It's part of the gam, and ya does what ya gots to does. I'm also one who hates the cleanup after storm riding.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Way back in the dark ages (1971) I owned a Yamaha that I could have made millions of dollars with. All I had to do to make it rain was ride it more than 30 miles. I could start out on a day with no rain in the forecast and not a cloud in the sky. By the time u was 30 miles from home it was raining. I could have gone where there was a drought and made it rain for a price. I got real good at riding in the rain. My buddy and I once went down the coast on hwy 101 in May. We found out why there are no tourists there in May. The water hit the road and bounced up a foot so it got you twice. Rain is just a free bike wash. Riding to work tomorrow and rain and T storms in the forecast. Oh we'll it is only water.

Ride safe

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some good stories in this thread.I've not been riding long enough to have encountered much rain. However, when I bought my Sporty about 2 months ago I did.

Rain was forecast to come in around 7pm. I had to drop the wife at the airport at 3pm then I head home, hop on the bike and head to the dealer to arrive about 4pm. After trying to decide between 2 bikes and having taken 2 test rides, paperwork, etc., its now 7:15 and the rain has started. Dealer loans me a rain suit and then the storm really hits, so I wait. I'm the only customer in the place. Gets to be 8:30 and there is a break in the weather.

The owner tells me to leave the bike and get it the next day. I'm like no way. I just bought my first HD and you want me to not ride it! I take off an drake it 2 miles before running into the storm. Thunder, lightening, driving rain and me on my new to me 2011 1200C. That was a long 15 miles and the storm never let up. Fortunately, there were not many cars on the roads (wonder why) and I was familiar with the route, but man was that intense. Now I know I can ride in the rain, but I've never been happier pulling up in front of mu house than I was that night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts