Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my radio cutting out, seems to be happening more and more. I bought the bike used and was told it was an upgrade amp in the radio and I took the front fairing off to to see that there are kicker speakers. Radio just stops playing. It stays on and seems to be fine just no sounds. I turn the power off then back on and get the sound back. Any thing I should be looking for? Any help would be appreciated.

Wink

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If it is staying powered up and both speakers are cutting out at the same time, I would be a little concerned that it is the stereo itself.

A speaker wire would probably only cut out on one side or the other.
If the power was being interrupted, the lights and everything else would also cut out.

Certainly check all of the connections just to be sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unreal, a grand for a new stereo, 375 for a refurbished one, are they really only lasting less then 5 years? I do appreciate the help, gonna check it out this weekend

·
Registered
7,340 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the connections, looked good, I used cleaner and Di-electric grease and plugged the radio back in. I played it for an hour in the driveway, didn't cut out once. I haven't had a chance to go for much of a ride. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Yeah, if it's the radio, Iron Cross is the way to go. I need to send mine in too. 200 bucks and a 1 year warentee. If it goes again, I'll buy a different brand of a boat stereo and hook it up. All I need is an aux jack and volume, and nothing else. I don't do weather or CB or VOX, I just play my music. Course I only listen to Low Rider by War on a loop.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
If its the stock radio make sure the cb and intercom os turned off. I know on mine if the cb is on and it picks up a transmission or such, it will cut the radio sound, and if the speaker switch is in headset/speaker mode, the cb goes to headaet amd stereo to the speakers, so i do not hear the cb but cuts sound to the speakers. Just an idea

·
Registered
66 Posts
just throwing this out there, but make sure the antenna ground is clean and, well grounded. i have a detachable tour pack, and was on a trip with the tour pack on. the radio kept going out, no sound, but was lit up like it was on. after returning, i removed the tour pack and went for a ride. radio was fine. ended up being a bad ground in the tour pack. cleaned it and all was good. until i upgraded the whole system to a sony head, alpine speakers and wet sounds amp. i did this after my alpine amp went out and wanted to have hand controls when using i pod

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ditch the stocker and get a real radio. Sony makes a good marine unit with a plug and garage for ur iPod. Haven't looked in a while but seems like they run around 250.

·
Hard Member
3,214 Posts
If it cuts out, turn it off and on. If it plays again, then the radio is the problem. I had the same issue last year with mine, and it was replaced by HD (warranty) only to do the same thing after the warranty expired. So, I took the next best step, called Mike at Biketronics and bought one of his stereo packages. Good systems and warranties, you will get a good bang for your buck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the exact same issue on my 08 SG. It was the radio, I had it replaced (under warranty thank god.) and issue went away. I also had a HDPDPlus, had to unplug it to prove to the HD guys it wasn't the cause. I'd go with the guys from IronCross they seem to really know their HKs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hv an 06 streetglide and I put 4 6x9s 2 6 1/2 and a set of tweeters with and alpine pdx amp and if u leave the bike off the music plays for ever but as soon and u ride off on it the amp cuts off does anyone hv a clue wht cld cause this
Thanks

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Does your radio volume change volume as you increase speed? Mine's set to do that, but I never notice it at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No the radio does not change volume it just shuts off we hv checked the wires and everything and can't seem to find out what's wrong need someone to help please

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I hv an 06 streetglide and I put 4 6x9s 2 6 1/2 and a set of tweeters with and alpine pdx amp and if u leave the bike off the music plays for ever but as soon and u ride off on it the amp cuts off does anyone hv a clue wht cld cause this
Thanks
How long does it take the amp to "recover" once it shuts off? I am wondering if it is going into "protect" mode. There are lots of different issues that may cause this.

Are you still using the factory stereo? I did a quick google for those amps and did not see that they had speaker-level inputs. How did you supply signal from the stereo to the amp?

Which amp specifically did you install?

I was a car audio installer for a few years when I was a kid. I have a pretty decent understanding of how they work and 12V+ DC electrical systems. I'll try to help you if I can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts