Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all of the posts on here (and the internet in general) about rain gear I am baffled. It seems to me like it is like the oil question. Ask 100 people and you get 100 different answers.

Some say the Harley rain gear is the best, then some say it is good but overpriced, and finally some say it leaks like crazy.

Then there are a slew of nice looking suits with good reviews for good prices too. But even in those some say they leak...
Tour Master Defender Two-Piece Rainsuit - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

River Road High-And-Dry Two Piece Rainsuit - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

River Road High N Dry Two-Piece Rainsuit - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Then you have the more expensive stuff like this

Firstgear Sierra Motorcycle Rain Jacket - BikeBandit.com
Firstgear Sierra Motorcycle Rain Pants - BikeBandit.com

And of course the Harley stuff at 185 is right in this range.

I will spend what I have to spend. That isn't the issue. The issue is, I don't want to spend 100-200 bucks or more on something that is going to leak. I ride everyday except when it rains in the morning because my rain gear isn't good enough. If I had gear to keep me dry in the mornings I would be golden.

Any suggestions on waterproof gloves? Haven't seen any talk about that really. That being said I didn't search for it specifically.
Like I said I know this has been beaten to death but I'm lost. If the USA stuff was made in the US I would already own it.

What say you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i picked up a set from J&P cycles . 60- 70 $ works great . used it last night on the way home from work . dry as a bone . it``s got plenty of velcro , zippers , pockets , elastic cuffs , folds up nice , gray on gray , light dark , fits over the leathers also . i picked up a pair of neoprene gloves , 15-20 $ work well . i`ll use a pair of nylon moto gloves other then that . if they get wet i can just ring em out and they`re dry. 2cts

·
Registered
76 Posts
For what its worth I bought the HD gear Sat before taking an advanced MSF class in the rain and am very happy with the gear.

About 5 hours in on/off drizzle, occassional shower and then the last 1 1/2 in a downpour which included a 40 min highway run. The only spots on me that were wet where around my neck but to be fair to the gear I didn't zip it all the way up or use the hood so it was far from sealed.

I'm sure that if I was out in the rain long enough and the rain was hard enough it would leak somewhat but I have no complaints.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I (stupidly) bought some 70$$ pair of off brand rain gear 2 years ago when I got my bike.
I guess in my mind I am stuck at feeling like I need to spend a lot for quality gear just because I got myself ripped off on the crappy stuff I bought. I hear a lot about people burning the frogg toggs which turned me off to those....

I tried on Harley ones that I really liked. Everything seemed really good. I just can't get past the fact that I may be paying more for the name with the same quality as a 100 set...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Unless you're bent on having HD logo stuff and money is no object, go for the best Harley junk you can and use it tommorow and for a week so if it sucks or leaks, you can take it back. Don't buy it today and wear it next November. OTHERWISE...
Look into the Tourmaster, River road, or First Gear. There's more people that have motorcycles and ride in the rain then there are Harley owners and non of them buy or use HD products. Just sayin.
I try to buy nice stuff without any logo's so I can wear them anytime on anything.
Remember that Harley buys products from the lowest bidders so your products will normally suck for the price. Harley only makes bikes, they don't make rain gear, oil, coffee mugs, tool kits, tires, ect.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you're bent on having HD logo stuff and money is no object, go for the best Harley junk you can and use it tommorow and for a week so if it sucks or leaks, you can take it back. Don't buy it today and wear it next November. OTHERWISE...
Look into the Tourmaster, River road, or First Gear. There's more people that have motorcycles and ride in the rain then there are Harley owners and non of them buy or use HD products. Just sayin.
I try to buy nice stuff without any logo's so I can wear them anytime on anything.
Remember that Harley buys products from the lowest bidders so your products will normally suck for the price. Harley only makes bikes, they don't make rain gear, oil, coffee mugs, tool kits, tires, ect.
My thoughts exactly. The tour master one I posted is really tickling my pickle..

Umm nevermind that didn't come out right.

Anyway, like I said I just have this discrimination toward cheaper ones because of the ones I bought in that 70-100 price range. Based on reviews I think I may go for the tour master one.

Thanks! You have all helped a lot in a subtle way. I guess I just kinda needed some discourse on this topic...

I must say though I think the HD stuff is good...just 80-90 bucks more than it is really worth. Strip the logo and I feel that's all it is.

Whatever I wind up doing I will let you all know how it goes!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . .Then there are a slew of nice looking suits with good reviews for good prices too. But even in those some say they leak. . .
The problem with reviews is that you don't have a lot of sense of expectation from most of the reviewers.

Some might not even typically ride in the rain, but have the rain gear for emergencies. If it kept them dry from the underpass to the first exit with shelter, it was awesome. Others want to wear it for 10 hours in the saddle doing 70 mph in a frog-strangler and expect to be dry as a bone. You just don't know.

At least on here you can ask specific questions and get interactive answers.

Oh, and I have this one:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/910/44993/ITEM/Alpinestars-Quick-Seal-Rainsuit.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

I bought it because it was yellow. I like the added visibility in the rain. I keep it for emergencies, and it also stores small. I have never even put it on. I don't ride in rain unless it's between me and home. I certainly don't start out in it. I love to ride, but the rain takes ALL the fun out of it. If it is a commute day, I'll spend the extra few bucks for fuel to stay dry and warm.

As for gloves, every time I have ever got caught in a downpour, I have just ended up leaving my leathers on. Once I just chucked them in the trash when I got home.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the problem with reviews is that you don't have a lot of sense of expectation from most of the reviewers.

Some might not even typically ride in the rain, but have the rain gear for emergencies. If it kept them dry from the underpass to the first exit with shelter, it was awesome. Others want to wear it for 10 hours in the saddle doing 70 mph in a frog-strangler and expect to be dry as a bone. You just don't know.
Amen. And From personal experience even a half hour staying mobile in a good down pour you're gonna be wet in places you didn't know existed.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
After reading all of the posts on here (and the internet in general) about rain gear I am baffled. It seems to me like it is like the oil question. Ask 100 people and you get 100 different answers.

Some say the Harley rain gear is the best, then some say it is good but overpriced, and finally some say it leaks like crazy.

Then there are a slew of nice looking suits with good reviews for good prices too. But even in those some say they leak...
Tour Master Defender Two-Piece Rainsuit - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

River Road High-And-Dry Two Piece Rainsuit - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

River Road High N Dry Two-Piece Rainsuit - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Then you have the more expensive stuff like this

Firstgear Sierra Motorcycle Rain Jacket - BikeBandit.com
Firstgear Sierra Motorcycle Rain Pants - BikeBandit.com

And of course the Harley stuff at 185 is right in this range.

I will spend what I have to spend. That isn't the issue. The issue is, I don't want to spend 100-200 bucks or more on something that is going to leak. I ride everyday except when it rains in the morning because my rain gear isn't good enough. If I had gear to keep me dry in the mornings I would be golden.

Any suggestions on waterproof gloves? Haven't seen any talk about that really. That being said I didn't search for it specifically.
Like I said I know this has been beaten to death but I'm lost. If the USA stuff was made in the US I would already own it.

What say you.
I have friends that have the tourmaster amd first gear stuff. Excellent stuff. Make sure its a good suit and it has heat resistant material on the inner calf area. Pipes can melt cheap stuff....

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with reviews is that you don't have a lot of sense of expectation from most of the reviewers.

At least on here you can ask specific questions and get interactive answers.

Oh, and I have this one:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/910/44993/ITEM/Alpinestars-Quick-Seal-Rainsuit.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

I bought it because it was yellow. I like the added visibility in the rain. I keep it for emergencies, and it also stores small. I have never even put it on. I don't ride in rain unless it's between me and home. I certainly don't start out in it. I love to ride, but the rain takes ALL the fun out of it. If it is a commute day, I'll spend the extra few bucks for fuel to stay dry and warm.

As for gloves, every time I have ever got caught in a downpour, I have just ended up leaving my leathers on. Once I just chucked them in the trash when I got home.
Very good point. That being said I really only played attention to the people that said things like "wore it every day of a 1000 mile trip and never got wet"

Any other reviews I didn't even put weight on.

As for melting on the pipes I hear that a lot. I have noticed though in the rain from the water on the pipe it is pretty cool actually. I want reinforced ones anyway, but because I am tall and have a thin seat my leg is far away from the pipe anyway. Like I said, I want it anyway.

I found an alpine stars one the other day (may be the one you linked I didn't look yet) that was black or hi viz. 185 or so bucks but it had all the bells and whistles. I may spring for the hi viz one. I would rather pay more now and still be using it 10 years down the road and thousands of miles later!!
Edit: you linked a cheaper one. I'll have to look into that one too. I'm feeling much better about all of this. With a little more research and thinking I think I will find a good solution

Thanks for all of the responses!!

My eventual goal is.
Waterproof gloves (that, if cool enough, I will wear all the time because I need new rising gloves anyway
Rain gear of course
Boot covers. Not booties though I don't like how they can snag on stuff. We will see there

With that stuff I should stay plenty dry for long trips and perfect for commuting. Right now I just wear my leather coat and shitty rain pants. My coat is good in light to medium rain and with good pants it would be perfect for the short distances I go. Then bring out the rain coat for long periods of time.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
I've tried a couple of different sets. I have a set of tourmaster in my bags right now, but can't give an opinion. Wife got 'em for me for Christmas, and I haven't needed them. But frog toggs...:nah. I had a pair of them literally blow off of me in a Louisiana downpour last year. I'm ok with getting wet, but getting wet when I spent money to stay dry...:cussing

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
If you don't mind unbranded equipment, I would look at hunting stores like Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain.....Most of the rain gear made for hunters stands up to some pretty foul stuff. I have a set from Cabela's that I paid about $200 for, but I have had it in some NASTY weather without leaking. It's light weight, so I have to wear some kind of thermals under it if it's chilly, but....

I have another set that works awesome in ANY weather, but the price will kill ya. It's from Rivers West and is made of a neoprene type material. Very comfortable and warm. Has some vents if I need them. Problem is, the price for the top alone can go over $250 and the pants are close to the same. I have the Viper top and bottom in black, but they make a Hi-viz set too.
Viper Jacket

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordered the tourmaster set after a lot of thinking and review reading. We shall see how it works. Thanks for all of the input. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
let me know how you come out with rain gear never found any that I didn't either melt on pipes or get at least a lil wet bikers choice has some for about 90$ they work pretty good but I melted them on pipes

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts