Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I used the HD Hi Vis stuff, and it leaked pretty good after a few uses. I am trying the Frogg Toggs this year, they came out with a line that is specifically geared towards the motorcycle enthusiast market, and so far so good. I haven't been in a heavy downpour, but I stayed dry through the rain I have encountered while using it.

Nothing is 100%, it seems water will always find a way.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Frogg Toggs

·
Registered
186 Posts
I haven't actually used too much in the way of rain gear while riding, but I have used it extensively while working. I work for the railroad, and when I had to get out and walk a train, or walk up and down a switching lead a good rain suit was a must. I've since received the so-called promotion to locomotive engineer so I rarely have to do much in the rain these days.

Frogg Toggs are pretty good, but they tend to not hold up. I have had several pair over the years, but since I've gone with GorTex I haven't looked back.

I have a set of GorTex rain pants that I purchased at Bass Pro close to 10 years ago, and I haven't had any issues with the pants themselves. I will soon have to purchase the next larger size as I can't seem to stop growing out. About 2 years ago I purchased a GorTex rain jacket as well. I have been pleased with it, though I'm not sure that the design would work too well on the bike.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to spend a little extra to get the good stuff. When it comes to rain gear, typically you will get what you pay for.

Exco

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,337 Posts
I have the TourMaster stuff higher end. On the 3rd year awesome stuff. Have rode through some torrential downpours and minimal if not no leakage that I'm aware off. Even works well if hitting a cold front and need something extra blocking the wind.

·
2,327 Posts
I have the Harley higher end, and have never had a problem over the past 5 years. Never used much of anything else. Booties are the best.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
I had an El Cheapo pant/jacket getup I bought at a Cycle Gear outlet. Never really needed it till returning home from C2 last year. The Cycle Gear setup failed miserably. Based on member reviews from this and also another forum I went with the HD Hi-Vis suit. I think retail was $175 but I negotiated a 15% discount then used my "Harley bucks" or whatever you call them from my HD Visa card usage so I didn't have any cash outlay. I THINK the HD suit will do the job but haven't really needed it yet. And I really do like the "Hi-Vis" aspect.

·
On the loose
8,725 Posts
Frogg Toggs do have different levels of rain gear , there better ones are close to $100 @ Gander Mountain , don't forget to put the heat tape on the pants if you go that route.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Men's Hi-Vis Rain Suit | Suits | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

This is what I have an after the first 8-10 uses the pasts started to leak in the knees and crotch. Not real bad, but if you get caught in a DOWN POUR your knees would be wet and if you did not have a windshield/fairing you would be sitting in soup. The jacket don't leak, or at least it have not noticed it but I wear it over my Joe Rocket perforated leather jacket. So it may leak just not enough to penetrate both jackets. Also the inside of the suit is real grabby and hard to get your boots in the pants.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Men's Hi-Vis Rain Suit | Suits | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

This is what I have an after the first 8-10 uses the pasts started to leak in the knees and crotch. Not real bad, but if you get caught in a DOWN POUR your knees would be wet and if you did not have a windshield/fairing you would be sitting in soup. The jacket don't leak, or at least it have not noticed it but I wear it over my Joe Rocket perforated leather jacket. So it may leak just not enough to penetrate both jackets. Also the inside of the suit is real grabby and hard to get your boots in the pants.

Exactly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can you elaborate?
I think what he meant was that the material that the Frogg Toggs are made of is very susceptible to heat. The ones that I have had in the past were easily ripped, and easily melted.

A little heat tape may reduce the melting possibilities.

Exco

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
The only leakage I get with my H-D hi-vis suit is at the front of my neck IF I'm riding thru a monsoon. I think it is running down from my chin so next time I'm gonna use a towel for an "ascot". I'm only in my second season with it, so we'll see but I'm pleased so far.

I run Gore-Tex lined Timberland boots. No leaks. My feet are too big for booties.

--

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
The only leakage I get with my H-D hi-vis suit is at the front of my neck IF I'm riding thru a monsoon. I think it is running down from my chin so next time I'm gonna use a towel for an "ascot". I'm only in my second season with it, so we'll see but I'm pleased so far.

I run Gore-Tex lined Timberland boots. No leaks. My feet are too big for booties.

--
Dave, my big complaint with the El Cheapo setup I got at Cycle Gear was that the neck closure was NOT adjustable and of course that let a lot of water in. The HD Hi-Vis neck closure IS adjustable; however I must have a skinny neck as it doesn't close tight. Whenever I need to use it I will also use a small towel/several microfiber cloths that I always have with me and hope that suffices. So, if you use yours before I need to use mine please let me know how your "ascot" works out or if you come up with something better. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Yeah, I love my FroggyToggs. Light enough for hot summer thunderstorms and large enough to fit over all my winter clothing. Easy storage, and nothin' keeps you drier.

·
On the loose
8,725 Posts
@Yon , they have there Walmart grade gear for around $35 , J&P sells alittle heaver version that includes heat tape you have to put on, Gander has a even more expensive version yet .

1 - 20 of 55 Posts