Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question, but....
Is it possible to add rake to the frame of a stock late model Road King w/o complications? I know my Softail rides like a dream with an additional 3 degrees added to the frame. I have never seen or read of anyone doing this to a touring bike. Any opinions? Thank you very much.

·
Rally Trash Picker
28 Posts
You might be able to get 3 degree trees for it, but then you'll need longer fork tubes to compensate for the added stretch. It may handle ok, tad slower in the steering. Or you may just take the Road out of the King by doing this.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
Seems like I saw a picture of a stretched custom RK. Seems for sure you'd lose some handling ability. That's why the FXD rides and handles better than the FXDL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something else I've been wondering....

I understand the importance of proper "trail" and its relationship to "rake". What I don't understand is how the reversed triple trees used in the touring bikes figure into the equation. Is proper "trail" just as important? How is it measured? All the "trail" calculators I've seen don't seem to work with the reversed trees. :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but....
Is it possible to add rake to the frame of a stock late model Road King w/o complications? I know my Softail rides like a dream with an additional 3 degrees added to the frame. I have never seen or read of anyone doing this to a touring bike. Any opinions? Thank you very much.
I wouldn't go there but here is a picture of one:
http://www.hogpro.com/imagebox.php?name=pic/gallery2-pic26.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Personally I don't like it. Also, since the headlight angle isn't adjustable it may not be real safe at night.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
Personally I don't like it.
I agree, probably doesn't handle too well either. Looks that that could be a likely candidate to be one of the infamous "Tank Slapper".

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Personally I don't like it. Also, since the headlight angle isn't adjustable it may not be real safe at night.
The reversed triple trees issue is complicated. Trying to find somebody knowledgable to get the trail calulations correct is the biggest issue. IMHO
Dave Perewitz in Brockton,Mass has done some stretching and raking of the R/K's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts