Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had any luck motivating neighborhood, town, city, etc, riders to lobby local government to participate in motorcycle awareness efforts?

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I've been a member of the Chicago ABATE chapter for 20 years... been a long time since I was "active" tho. Will be seeking out the local IA chapter as well once I am "home" for good in the spring.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Every year here in Central Texas the local HOG visits every town within about a 40 mile radius and requests the mayor to declare Motorcycle Awareness Week/Month. So far they have always complied, all of them. We even get a few pictures in the paper.

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
Never tried, but would be happy to gather some friends and give it a shot.

Lil - are you looking for a specific date and a coordinated effort? Willing to help.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DNM, that is just the sort of thing I'm interested in learning about! Thank you.

Hoss, a coordinated effort would be great if we could get good ideas that people would participate in aas a group. Something just like DNM told us about. There must be more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here in Maine there were Public Service Adds on TV all summer about Watch Out for Motorcyclists. We have a fairly powerful group that is effective on the political scene called United Bikers of Maine. I am not sure whether they lobbied for the adds or the state did it on it's own. Our last two governors have also ridden bikes which probably helps.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Here in Maine there were Public Service Adds on TV all summer about Watch Out for Motorcyclists. We have a fairly powerful group that is effective on the political scene called United Bikers of Maine. I am not sure whether they lobbied for the adds or the state did it on it's own. Our last two governors have also ridden bikes which probably helps.
Some help from the Federal level from your fine senator Susan Collins couldnt have hurt much either.

Link HERE

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You see I'm of the belief that grassroots efforts are what is necessary to create a nationwide movement. Gas prices will rise again someday with a ferocity and when they do motorcycling will begin to increase as it was last year. The number of accidents will increase accordingly, as they did last year.
If we do not care for ourselves we cannot expect anyone else to do so.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,186 Posts
I don't think NICE gets you very far with most people.

People pay attention to what scares them.
They don't turn left in front of a police car, bus or truck.

The most effective way to increase the general respect
for the motorcyclist's right of way might be
to threaten the automobile driving public.

Lobby the state to promote CRIMINAL PROSECUTION of cagers
who "didn't see" motorcyclists for NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE,

and promote PUNISHING CIVIL LIABILITY DAMAGE SUITS,
if only for the publicity value for public awareness purposes.

" YOUR CAR MAY BE BIGGER THAN MY BIKE
BUT YOU DO NOT WANT TO MEET MY LAWYER! "

" TAILGATING A MOTORCYCLE IS ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON "

I'd like to see billboards of a Black Leather Biker Funeral,
with some hint that careless drivers were on their sh*t list.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Motorcycle Awareness

Since I live in Ohio where the AMA resides, I don't see the same disrespect Motorcyclists see in other areas of the country. In fact, I have never lived anywhere where there are more motorcycles and motorcycle related events. This may be the result of the AMA residing here or the fact that we have so many bikes here.

The problem you see has existed for as long as there have been bikes and cars on the same roads. There is no easy answer. The AMA has long been involved in trying to promote safety and motorcycle awareness. If you have a specific problem, I'm sure they will be willing to help. I know they have staff dedicated just for this purpose.

It would be great if we had FEDERAL laws to help and protect us, but I don't see that happening soon. Especially when there are lawmakers in office who think WE (the motorcycling public) are the problem. I think we need to change that way of thinking before anything will happen on a federal level.

I have been involved in motorcycling for most of my life. I have served as president as well as other offices in clubs. It has been my experience the best way to create public awareness is through charitable events. This gets the public as well as the authorities on our side. I know for a fact there are hundreds of charitable events held all over the country all the time but, no one ever hears about them. I don't understand this.

You need to let the public know we are the good guys. You have to advertise this fact. To get our message across you have to make people WANT to be aware. You won't get that by threats. Trust me, been there, done that.

If you belong to a local club, plan an event and make sure it gets publicity. Even something as simple as a can goods collection for the local food bank. Get your club to carry some can goods on there bikes in a parade down main street and get it on TV. It will work.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book, but I have been through this so many times. We have got a long way to go, but it is getting better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't think NICE gets you very far with most people.

People pay attention to what scares them.
They don't turn left in front of a police car, bus or truck.

The most effective way to increase the general respect
for the motorcyclist's right of way might be
to threaten the automobile driving public.

Lobby the state to promote CRIMINAL PROSECUTION of cagers
who "didn't see" motorcyclists for NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE, .

I AGREE! I lost a buddy two years ago to a stupid 17 year old kid who pulled in front of him. The state charged the kid with "failure to yield" slapped him on the wrist and it was business as usual. Total BS. To make matters worse the guy riding with Griff wasn't hurt but was really traumatized by the accident and loosing one of his best buds. He tried to commit suicide but didn't succeed so now he is a paraplegic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
15 + years ago, I too was a member of ABATE. At that time I didn't think much of the AMA. But I digress since I haven't followed the AMA in over a decade. Just so there is no confusion, I am for anyone who will protect the rights of biker's.

I also recall seeing an electronic overhead sign on a local interstate here one day flashing the quote "Start Seeing Motorcycles - Share The Road". I almost fell out of my Jeep.

As for things getting better, I had hope when I heard how many people were buying motorcycles and scooters due to the recent crude oil price scams all across America, I thought maybe this is a good sign for times to come, but what do I know.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I see these clowns on crotch rockets (back in my day we referred to them as the gym shoe crowd) doing wheelie's and racing another swerving thru lanes past all the cages - well that doesn't do much to make the rest of us look good. I would never argue (against) that cages are the most dangerous thing regarding bikes, but there are way too many idiots with a motorcycle license these days.

Bottom line, I plan to rejoin ABATE, and anyone else who fights the good fight for rider's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We may be discussing two different things here. Motorcycle awareness is one issue. I believe the thread was started on that topic. Now we hear of incidents where laws do not seem appropriate. I feel anybody responsible for a fatal accident should be held accountable. That's just common sense. If you are a member of the AMA and read their magazine, they write about these kinds of situations where the law is obviously not doing justus. They are trying to do something about this.

I know I must sound like an AMA ad, but they have a legal and legislative team that is trying to do something to change the laws. I believe they work with ABATE and other groups to actually do something.

The event you describe could just as easily been car on car, or car on school bus. The result would be the same. Motorcycles are just more vulnerable.

We need a two pronged approach. Motorcycle awareness and more just laws for people killed by negligent motorists. If you don't like the way the laws are applied, call your congressman, or state senator, and join the AMA or other organizations that will push for more equitable laws. That's what I do...

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
How many non-biker friends do you have?

Trust me here. I'm going somewhere.

Statistics show that if you ride a motorcycle, or know someone who does, the odds of you being involved in an accident involving a motorcycle go way down.

How many times have you had a friend say, "I thought I saw you over on ____________ Street the other day, but it wasn't you?"

You may have just saved someone's life.

Non riders will see you if they are looking for you. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all if they see me while looking for you.

Ride your bike to school. Ride your bike to work. Ride your bike to the store. Let everyone know you have a bike. They will be looking for you.

The life you save may be mine.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MM & DNM, your posts are more in line with what I am looking for to help stimulate riders to get involved with promoting awareness. Thanks for that.

Please do not get me wrong though. I completely believe that the law should adequately protect us from crimes committed against us.

·
Registered
97 Posts
E Pluribus Unum

E.PLURIBUS UNUM
This means "One In Many" as on the dollar bill. I put this in to illustrate that the safest way to ride, IMHO, is to ride in a group. Personally I prefer to ride alone. I can go at my own speed and ride when and where I want. HOWEVER, riding in a group increases our chance of being seen.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard or read "Officer, I didn't see him (or her)". Wearing bright colors and/or riding in a group increases our chance of being seen and lessons our chance of being involved in an accident.

This also goes for promoting awareness. If you, your club, or group decide to go for a ride somewhere, you can promote good will with the community by promoting your ride as a ride for charity. Please believe me when I say, bikers or motorcyclists, can achieve more good will by doing good deeds. It is SO simple. It's as easy as having lets a $5 or $10 ride. Everyone who attends contributes $5 or $10 or whatever. End your ride at a fire station, children's home, or even the local humane society, but make sure the media folks hear about it. You'll be surprised ay how many doors will open for you not to mention the other drivers on the road who hear about it and become AWARE that Motorcyclists are not the bad ass boys as depicted on TV so often. After all, you were going out for a ride anyway.

I have never seen a club that did not welcome new members. If that doesn't appeal to you, get some friends together and start your own club. Anyway, I think you get my point. OK, I'll get down off my soap box now, but remember, NO ONE will know of your good works if the media is not informed. If you or your group does decide to do something like this, be a blabber mouth. Let everyone you know hear about it. If you want things to improve it's up to you to make it happen.

By the way, I refer to myself as a "Motorcyclist" not a "Biker". Sometimes it's the little things that matter most!

Mustang Marvin
MMCOA #995
AMA Life member #286046
AMCA# 8487 (Field Judge)
BMWMOA# 34039

1 - 17 of 17 Posts