Harley Davidson Forums banner

Random intermittent Spark Fail.

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SCHMIDTY 
#1 · (Edited)
2002 Dyna Random intermittent Spark Fail.

So here's the story, I just bought a 2002 Dyna FXDL, it ran great, the guy I bought it from kept it very well maintained. He even had the cam chain replaced with an S&S Cam gear kit. The problem I'm having is that randomly while riding, the bike will die, sometimes it starts right back up, other times it takes 5 to 10 minutes to start back up, but it always eventually starts back up. It's getting gas no problem (I can see the jet shooting fuel into the carb though a custom transparent Plexiglas plate on the the air filter) But as I checked with the old "screw driver inserted into spark plug cover and placed next to the cylinder trick" there is no spark being delivered when trying to turn it over. The bike has full charge, everything electrical works but the spark is not getting to the plug. I'm tried replacing the 30 amp circuit breaker with another new 30 amp as well as a 40 amp circuit breaker with no luck. It's not the Coil (yes I foolishly replaced it with a new one with out testing the old one.:frown) All the fuses are good, My question is... What do I try next? The stalling on the side of the road is driving me crazy. It sometimes doesn't stall at all for some riding sessions, and some times it stalls four times randomly and intermittently.

Any help, thoughts or ideas are much appreciated. Thanks

P.S. it looks as though all the cables and wiring are tight and non-corroded

See less See more
#3 ·
Like said ^^^ ignition pickup inside the points cover. Also ditch the screwdriver, a spark tester works best or just put the wires on the plugs and ground the plugs to the heads then turn the ignition on and crank the engine over.

Reactions: Smoketown$1
#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advise, I'll start with the Crank Sensor.

When I replace the Crank Position Sensor (Part # 32798-00B)
I'm thinking about using the old red and black wires that are already in place,
and splicing on the new sensor.
Reasons Being 1. I think it would be very difficult running the new wire though the
heat resistant sleeve all the way to the coupler under the seat and 2. The original wires seem to be in good condition.
Any thoughts on the plan?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.