Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would start a new thread instead of keep posting about it in the 'what did you do to your bike today' thread.

Here are some pics of the tank.
1st is stripped bare. You can see all the issues with the tank metal but I left it that way on purpose. Gives it character.
2nd is helper sanding primer. Neighbor's kid Jacob. Loves to hang with me because I have motorcycles lol
3rd is paint hanging to dry
4th is paint dry and getting ready to shoot clear
5th is doing a couple burn outs while waiting lol
6,7,8 are wet clear. It looks so good I had to take a couple pics.
9 is dry clear
10 is a toy we found at Wal-hell today while getting the helper his birthday present. I just had to have it haha.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh goodie. None of the pics uploaded. Let's try it one at a time

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ready To Clear Coat

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Breaking in the floor

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could have sworn I took more pics of it dry but didn't find them. Anyway, It looks great and it's hard to believe that I'm the one that actually painted that. Never had any luck in the past doing this, but wanted to try it a bit different. I have a few other things that have popped up just today, as usual, so this bike won't be on the road until next week. No hurry as it has been blazing hot lately. I just need everything completely finished on this before the Bull City Rumble on Labor Day weekend. I got new mirrors for it as well.

·
Registered
721 Posts
From the photos you posted the Tank looks great , did you use an air compressor ? surely that wasn't possible with those rattle cans .
I am not into painting myself so don't understand the tech terms re wet coat and then you said dry coat ? I guess the paint is water based ? what about the lacquer coat is that the same .
Looking forward to seeing your bike progress to the finish are you spaying the Frame ? and the rest of the metal

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes that was enamel rattle can job. If you sand properly between coats you will be amazed at how it looks afterwards. The wet and dry pics were meant as the clear was still wet and then after it dried, not that it was two different types of clear. There is painter's tape in the neck of the tank that was covering it up to keep paint out. It was still in during the pics.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used the filler/sandable primer to make sure it wouldn't try to rip away from the bare metal of the tank when hitting it with 500 grit sandpaper between the first two coats. Used 1000 grit on the the 3rd and heaviest coat of primer. NO bare metal before the paint is put on or it will peel later. That color is Duplicolor's Metal Specks Retro Red MS300. Only found it at auto parts stores, namely Autozone. $14 / can. Well worth the money. The clear coat is what really makes this awesome. It is Spraymax 2K Gloss clear. There are 3 different sheens of that stuff so make sure you get the correct one. # 368 0061. On eBay for $21 with free shipping. I did not find it at any store anywhere, and neither did Google. I don't know what is up with that, but whatever. Got here in 3 days. That stuff is highly highly HIGHLY toxic. Take the warnings seriously. It has two separate chambers in the can that you pierce and mix by shaking it. You now have less than 48 hrs to use it, at 75F, before it solidifies in the can. I was spraying at 94F, so I had even less time. It's a chemical drying process, not air dry like the primer and paint. Rock hard smooth finish that not even gasoline will eat up when it's all done.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm thinking of mounting the poop toy on the headlight. That should get pics of me and the rod on social media somewhere haha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts