Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
As far as painting other parts on the bike I did the side covers and rear fender. The fender was butchered bad and had holes all in it and nothing lined up correctly. What a PITA. I had guys at work weld over the holes and grind it all smooth and I started over as best I could. It's much better than it was the day I picked it up. More pics will follow when finally all back together.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Paint job looks great - Nice Job! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your bike when everything is done and assembled!

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
That is a really nice paint job out of a can.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looks like I will be putting back together after work in the morning. Won't take long, but I don't count chickens before they....well...I just don't count chickens ever lol. I almost forgot to put the petcock back in so the sealant has 24 hrs to dry to keep fuel leaking past it. Another one of those sealers that comes in a big tube when all you need is 10 drops of it, unless this is your living. I'm kicking around the idea of putting decals on the tank or side covers or whatever. I like the look of the paint so much that I may not at all, though. I will put up a pic I took when I got it home so y'all can see before and after as well. I always liked the black paint, but this has me re-thinking that a bit. I also found a cool website that sells 60s-70s ish 'fad' flake paint. Roth Metal Flake. Check that out. Neat-o stuff on their website. They sell the same clear coat as well. I'm also thinking of painting one of my helmets to match the bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wasn't sure if I really wanted to keep the side covers the same color as the tank and fender, but after it was all done I know I did the right thing. At least for me. This is one of those jobs that looks better in person than in pics.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Now it needs a very good cleaning and detailing. It's not super nasty by any means, but I might be putting it in a bike show Labor Day weekend and want it all shiny.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here is what the tank looked like when I started out on this mission. Not very pretty.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts