Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my '99 Heritage for a few years, and knew that it was running just slightly lean. (Plugs white-ish but not bad, would burp a bit of oil and mess the chrome on occasion, etc.)

So basically, I have been going back and forth on whether to go into the carb, because it really was running "Good Enough".

Well, I decide that I should just do it, (and am fully prepared to see how bad I can screw it up.)

Anyway, not wanting a full discussion, but just hoping for a trusted voice, I humbly PM'd Schmidty, hoping I was not bothering him...

And in within 5 minutes he responds:

[/QUOTE]
...The main change would be the pilot jet. I use #48 pilots across the board except on 883 Sportsters, those get a #45. The slow air screw is just a very fine adjustment to trim the pilot jet fuel flow. If you have high flow pipes and AC I would bump the main jet up to a 180...[/QUOTE]

Nothing but solid... good... trusted... advice.

Now anyone who has spent even a little bit of time around here can easily see that Schmidty is one of the members that you can trust. His being here is a huge reason that this place is so great. (I read everything I see he has posted.)

So I take his advice.

Carb is now set up with the 48 and 180, and with a bit of tinkering with the Idle (right at 1K) and mixture (out approx 3X), I have a whole new bike!

Wow... Amazing how much difference in performance I am seeing with the proper carb jets...

...And to a truly great guy, who freely shares his experience and advice with a doofus, rank amateur wrencher like me, I humbly give my gratitude.

Anyway...
How can I nominate Schmidty for "Legand" status around here?
The guy is a constant... No drama, just good, free advice coming from someone who is obviously the master (the yoda if you will) of his craft.

To Schmidty:
Thank You again, Sir!
I owe you a lot.
DeeDay

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself!!
I'm actually in the same boat too. The bike runs fine, starts good goes fast but the plugs are a little white. I am at 48 180 and I just can't imagine a 1200 sporty stage 1 needing more than a 180 main so for that reason I am a little hesitant to do it...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
23,209 Posts
No drama ??? You mean I'm boring !!! ? ...:laugh

Anyways thanks for the cudos.

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No drama ??? You mean I'm boring !!! ? ...:laugh

Anyways thanks for the cudos.
Well the only drama was on initial start after the change, and it would not hold an idle. (Crapped my pants a little at this point...)

But then after tweaking the idle and A/F and dialing her in, I was a basically a giddy school girl.

You are the best, Schmidty.
Thanks for hanging around here.
DeeDay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts