Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 fls changed tire at 6000 mi . 700 miles later no rear brake , rear caliper and rotor so hot could cook bacon on it , boild brake fluid .bled them and got brakes back brought to dealer .they took all apart put back togeather ,sent me home. still cooking the brakes. went back to dealer . They told me they run hot ,go home and ride it .I'm sure its the caliper not releasing , and this amount of heat is not right. I've been feeling up every bike I to see if their hot .some are warn ,but mine will burn your hand after 5 miles and not even using the brake. Go Home and ride it , I almost B**** slaped the guy .don't know what to do H-D no help

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have a 2014 fls changed tire at 6000 mi . 700 miles later no rear brake , rear caliper and rotor so hot could cook bacon on it , boild brake fluid .bled them and got brakes back brought to dealer .they took all apart put back togeather ,sent me home. still cooking the brakes. went back to dealer . They told me they run hot ,go home and ride it .I'm sure its the caliper not releasing , and this amount of heat is not right. I've been feeling up every bike I to see if their hot .some are warn ,but mine will burn your hand after 5 miles and not even using the brake. Go Home and ride it , I almost B**** slaped the guy .don't know what to do H-D no help
Change Dealers...that one will get you hurt . :eek

Clean your caliper .

Please read this first : http://www.harley-davidsonforums.co...-big-twin-4-piston-caliper-brake-service.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the stock caliper on my Slim is 2 piston. I'm going to get a rebuild kit , I know how to use a wrench , but the dealer should be up front about this and make it right ,I'm as mad about them as I am my brakes

·
CVMA 44-2
252 Posts
I have a '12 Fatboy. Put on a rear wheel and had the caliper off to do it. After putting back on, it was getting hot. Took it apart today and think the problem was the anti-rattle device was not on top of the pad, but trapped on the side of the top of pad. This was shoving the inboard pad against the rotor to some degree. Anyway, that's what it looked like but I have not done a test ride yet to see if it runs cool like the front rotor.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Is it still in warranty take it back. Insist on seeing owner/general manager. Tell him what service told you. Get no results call HD make a complaint. That's total BS...

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
^^^^This^^^^^

·
CVMA 44-2
252 Posts
Had mine apart again. Everything looks really good....but will get very hot not even using rear brakes....pistons move ok, brake spring kit is out...all looks good but still hot. And it ain't from engine heat either...it's real hot. Think the outboard pad is rubbing, but don't know why. I can grab the caliper when it cools off...shove inward while holding back on rotor, and make the pistons retract and have slop between the pads then....but....first use of brake pedal and the pads are rubbing again. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Had mine apart again. Everything looks really good....but will get very hot not even using rear brakes....pistons move ok, brake spring kit is out...all looks good but still hot. And it ain't from engine heat either...it's real hot. Think the outboard pad is rubbing, but don't know why. I can grab the caliper when it cools off...shove inward while holding back on rotor, and make the pistons retract and have slop between the pads then....but....first use of brake pedal and the pads are rubbing again. Any ideas ?
You keep tinkering with that brake issue and HD will not honor your warranty if break something related. You don't rest your foot on or near the pedal? Are you sure you pedal linkage is not binding causing brake to drag ????

·
Registered
803 Posts
You keep tinkering with that brake issue and HD will not honor your warranty if break something related. You don't rest your foot on or near the pedal? Are you sure you pedal linkage is not binding causing brake to drag ????
Softailbilly, original poster has a 2014 that would still be under warranty. kc5gxc has a 2012 so warranty most likely is done. Could the wheel spacers being reversed cause this and or wheel not properly alined?

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
My apologies Brother my fault for not reading your post properly. Wrong reply

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Softailbilly, original poster has a 2014 that would still be under warranty. kc5gxc has a 2012 so warranty most likely is done. Could the wheel spacers being reversed cause this and or wheel not properly alined?
Thanks for pointing that out Fatcat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is still getting a little hot but not as hot as was . WHAT I did was pull some brake fluid out of the master cylinder so it is only 3/4 full , giving more room for fluid to go back in .dont know if it's the right fix but has helped 60% of my problem

·
CVMA 44-2
252 Posts
Yes. Pedal is ok. I wonder what WearyO did with his? Hope he got it fixed and if so...what was making it get hot ???
OK>>>>I see now what you did. I am gonna check this on mine...maybe the same deal with the fluid level !!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same problem with rear bakes getting very hot after rear tire change by dealer. Checked the rear axle torque. Over 90 ft lbs. Loosened axle nut, re-torqued to 60 ft lbs. (minim), heat went away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Iv2tinker , afraid to try your solution ,manual calls for 95-105 lb torque. I've always thought that was awful tight ,but thats what it calls for. remember the axel nut on these arn't held with a cotter pin like the old ones.?

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Has to be some kind of mechanical issue causing that much heat..? If wrong wheel spacers are at fault may ruin the wheel bearings also.:dunno

·
Registered
6 Posts
I should have said that my bike was a 2002 Heritage. Rear axle nut torque is 60-65 ft lbs. Also has the Spring Clip to make sure the axle nut stays on.
Try torquing yours at 95 lb torque and see it that helps.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I had a similar issue with the Fat Boy in the first ride after I bought it. Something was wrong with the rear brake and it locked against the disk. Heated up and ruined the disk. Got her back to the dealership and they found that there was a broken or failed pin or something in the rear caliper. Dealer covered the repair (or the MoCo helped with it -- don't know). In any case, got a new brake and disk at no cost to me.

Service manager said he'd never seen anything like that before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts