Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the length of the OEM rear brake lines. FXST Standard.
I could measure but thought I would ask first.
Going to the 3" extended forward controls.

If anyone has done the same mod, did you just go 3" longer or is a longer line needed to allow for routing\bends?
Thanks.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Anyone know the length of the OEM rear brake lines. FXST Standard.
I could measure but thought I would ask first.
Going to the 3" extended forward controls.

If anyone has done the same mod, did you just go 3" longer or is a longer line needed to allow for routing\bends?
Thanks.
Seen some kits for what your doing that include the steel brake line. May be they can give you measurement or sell just line. But I think your planning on doing your own fabbing. :thumbsup

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seen some kits for what your doing that include the steel brake line. May be they can give you measurement or sell just line. But I think your planning on doing your own fabbing. :thumbsup
Thanks SB. Still undecided on fabbing my own.
A company called Goodridge makes colored steel braided lines. Have not seen any other company offer other then maybe black.
Thinking red just to be different and tie into the paint job some.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Thanks SB. Still undecided on fabbing my own.
A company called Goodridge makes colored steel braided lines. Have not seen any other company offer other then maybe black.
Thinking red just to be different and tie into the paint job some.
Make it your own buddy.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I checked out there web site. Nice stuff. A bit pricey when you consider a British pound is worth more than our dollar.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pricey, yes. But I like the options. Color choice of braid and ends.
Several different types of lines to choose from. All are listed as suitable for my application.

I contacted them to get their recommendations and ballpark cost for standard length front and extended rear line.

Never ran the braided lines before but have heard nothing but good about the improved feel in braking.

Just need to decide now. All black? All red? Black lines with red fittings? Red lines with black fittings?
The front line red to tie in with the paint. The back line, mostly hidden, all black?
:think Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
How does red lines front and rear with chrome fittings. Give a little pop.? The again going black and stealthy wood be cool in rear.....?????:dunno

My bike Vivid black with some red in HD tank logo & silver pinstripe. Red and chrome might work on mine...............?

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
Only H-D sells the steel tube lines and I don't think they have extended OEM lines. Gotta do the after market which ain't bad. Just gotta measure then add the fittings that connect the line to the master cylinder and the caliper.
Russell, Goodridge, etc. all good products.
I'm doing the front brake line on a '74 Super Glide now, I think I'm using black Russell lines for this one.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only H-D sells the steel tube lines and I don't think they have extended OEM lines. Gotta do the after market which ain't bad. Just gotta measure then add the fittings that connect the line to the master cylinder and the caliper.
Russell, Goodridge, etc. all good products.
I'm doing the front brake line on a '74 Super Glide now, I think I'm using black Russell lines for this one.
Think I will go with the black for the rear. Maybe red fittings for a little hidden subtle bling.
For the front I`m thinking red line with black fittings(?). Would blend with the paint and Iso grips and pegs.
Replacing any other fittings, banjo`s, etc with the stainless parts they offer.

Side note. The Santa in brown showed up today. Along with a few Cosmetic brand gaskets, the flush mount front axle came. Will post oics when I get it installed.
Just wish the rest of my carb parts would show up.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Think I will go with the black for the rear. Maybe red fittings for a little hidden subtle bling.
For the front I`m thinking red line with black fittings(?). Would blend with the paint and Iso grips and pegs.
Replacing any other fittings, banjo`s, etc with the stainless parts they offer.
Getting a good visual :thumbsup

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GF is on me about having it up this season. :dunno
Would love to. But this is likely my last bike. Won`t be a show bike or trailer queen but it will be mine and one of a kind.
Have dreamed and schemed on this build since the MoCo first released the softail. I like doing things once and doing them right. At least right in my mind.
Besides, money is a little funny. :laugh But I`m not laughing. :bluduh

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
GF is on me about having it up this season. :dunno
Would love to. But this is likely my last bike. Won`t be a show bike or trailer queen but it will be mine and one of a kind.
Have dreamed and schemed on this build since the MoCo first released the softail. I like doing things once and doing them right. At least right in my mind.
Besides, money is a little funny. :laugh But I`m not laughing. :bluduh
Funny how GF's can get a guy motivated. Then again need money to motivate....:):bikerguy:

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny how GF's can get a guy motivated. Then again need money to motivate....:):bikerguy:
The bike discussion came up last night. She went to sleep mad.
I just went to sleep. :dunno
We`ll see what her mood is when she gets home.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
The bike discussion came up last night. She went to sleep mad.
I just went to sleep. :dunno
We`ll see what her mood is when she gets home.
They do that when working on cars also. Hang in there.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scratching my head on the extending the rear brake mount\pedal forward 3".
After looking at the set-up on my 99, seems I could get away with just the extension bracket and a longer plunger actuator rod.
Really do`t care to relocate the rear master cylinder.
But not finding any kits with that option. All mention needing 3" longer brake line which would seem to mean moving the master cylinder forward.. :feedback:

EDIT;Never mind. Looks like I found them. http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/bikers-choice-3-inch-extended-forward-controls-harley-davidson-fxstfxstcfxsts-models-87-99/part/BC-48-9742

1 - 16 of 16 Posts