Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I adjust the distance I have to push on the brake before it engages the brake? I'm not getting the amount of braking I should be. The amount I have to push has been increasing so it's not just something standard. I did check the rotor, it looks fine, I don't know how to check the pads.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I would start with flushing the brake fluid. If the pedal travel is increasing, it's due to either:

1: Contaminated brake fluid. (Dot 4 brake fluid must be flushed every 2 years)
2: May be caused by a warped rotor. Measure the runout of the disk.
3: Extremely worn brake pads.
Or any combination of the three.

All of the above is explained and covered in detail in a real HD Service Manual for your Year, Make and Model bike. They can be found used, or get one from the Parts Department at your Harley Dealership. These are around $140. They are ordered directly from H.D. The best $ you will spend on your bike. Do not buy the aftermarket Clymer or Haynes. They will lead you down the rabbit hole and are not necessarily accurate on important items like "Torque Values" They use the "Standards" that are found on any web search for a given faster size. Not for the specific applications as in the real manual. This manual will pay for itself the first time you use it, in labor cost alone. They are easy to follow and understand. If nothing less than, you will know why and when you need to see a pro. (ie: Tooling) and or good ole fashioned experience. All of the preventive maintenance stuff you can easily do yourself.

To my knowledge, there is no way to adjust the throw of the brake lever. Other than a different lever.

Reactions: TankedSiamang
1 - 2 of 2 Posts