Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to change my rear brake pads on my Fat Bob the other day and the rear caliber seems to need to be compressed back a little to put the new pads in. Any suggestions on what to use to compress the caliber? I have an old clamp I use for my cars but it won't fit the bike.

Thanks

·
Banned
71 Posts
I went to change my rear brake pads on my Fat Bob the other day and the rear caliber seems to need to be compressed back a little to put the new pads in. Any suggestions on what to use to compress the caliber? I have an old clamp I use for my cars but it won't fit the bike.

Thanks
If nothing else....... put the old pads in place and pry them apart with a bar or a large screwdriver . Don't overflow the brake fluid .

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I have a large screwdriver that works ok. Also, a chisel will work, and you can use an adjustable wrench on the chisel for torque. Before you push the pistons in is a good time to spray brake clean in there and wrap a string or shoelace around the pistons and polish the crud off.
P.S. they are caliPers

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a large screwdriver that works ok. Also, a chisel will work, and you can use an adjustable wrench on the chisel for torque. Before you push the pistons in is a good time to spray brake clean in there and wrap a string or shoelace around the pistons and polish the crud off.

P.S. they are caliPers

I know phone doesn't like to spell words correctly... Lol

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts