Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 FLHTC and am trying to change the rear pads, but can't get the bolts loose on the caliber. I sprayed with bolt EZ and even tried to heat them up somewhat to get them loose with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions to get them to loosen or a way to get them off somehow without breaking or damaging them too badly so I can replace pads?

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
Caliper Mounting Bolts should not be that tough. Not mistaking Caliper Bolts? jus kidding WD-40 soaking over night. Gently warm the caliper housing and mount where threads are then cool it with wet rag cold water. Repeat a few times. Cycling the hot cold expansion and contraction break rust free. #2 Heat heads of bolts only cool again with cold water on rags back to ambient, heat again. At ambient attempt to remove bolts. Good luck

·
Try'n to behave
5,962 Posts
Impact wrench.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Impact wrench.
I thought about that idea the problem is these are torx head bolts and I'm afraid they will strip them and then I will really have a problem on my hands, you had a great idea just afraid to attempt it afraid will strip tool or head of bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Caliper Mounting Bolts should not be that tough. Not mistaking Caliper Bolts? jus kidding WD-40 soaking over night. Gently warm the caliper housing and mount where threads are then cool it with wet rag cold water. Repeat a few times. Cycling the hot cold expansion and contraction break rust free. #2 Heat heads of bolts only cool again with cold water on rags back to ambient, heat again. At ambient attempt to remove bolts. Good luck
I appreciate your response and will definitely attempt to try it again the way your explaining it hopefully will be able to do a bit better than the first time. It always helps when you have someone with some extra expertise and ideas when you start getting older and things seem to fade away. Although as I mentioned below these are Torx head bolts and the gentleman suggested using impact wrench I'm a little skeptical because of the Torx head because of stripping the head or tool then I'm in deep **it.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Use Kroil , better than WD40, PB Blaster, Screw Loose, if you can't find some , make some , mix equal amounts of ATF and Acetone and put it in a spray bottle.

When you reassemble the caliper, use neverseize on the pins and on the threads of the bolts.
Don't forget to compress the piston to compensate for the thickness of the new pads.

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
Torque to the proper specs, often over looked.

·
Retired citizen
23,371 Posts
Use a cheater on the end of the wrench. 1/2 inch breaker bar will work too.

Reactions: ARIZONA MISFIT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use Kroil , better than WD40, PB Blaster, Screw Loose, if you can't find some , make some , mix equal amounts of ATF and Acetone and put it in a spray bottle.

When you reassemble the caliper, use neverseize on the pins and on the threads of the bolts.
Don't forget to compress the piston to compensate for the thickness of the new pads.
Thank You very much for your additional information, I will attempt to locate or make my own solution and try to free up the Torx bolts these have not been off since I 've owned the bike over 5yrs. As I stated in other posts just concerned the heads may get stripped in the process and then I'm in a real bind.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Thank You very much for your additional information, I will attempt to locate or make my own solution and try to free up the Torx bolts these have not been off since I 've owned the bike over 5yrs. As I stated in other posts just concerned the heads may get stripped in the process and then I'm in a real bind.

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
Find it at Auto Zone need right away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts