Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking this for my room mate. She has a 2006 Sportster. Her legs are very close to the rear cylinder head. You guys got any idea on what to use for a heat shield? Thanks, guys...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't understand, why would her legs be close to the heads?.....I've never heard of this problem before.
It's been converted to a trike. She's quite short, and thus the riding position brings her legs a little closer than usual.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You'll have to cover her leg, not the cylinder. Covering the cylinder will most likely result in over-heating.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping to find something that would only mount and cover the side of the cylinder head, not cover the entire thing cause you'd be right, I'm sure it would overhead. If a shroud of some type could be mounted it could direct the airflow/heat past and to the rear.... She might have to have something made up. I'm not having any luck at all in finding something in any of the aftermarket companies or Harley....Thanks, guys...appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Captain Itch is semi local. I spoke with him last November at the local stealership. If memory is correct, he lives near Granville. Talk with him. He could customize the heat shield in any way she needs to be comfortable and not hurt the bike.

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
One my friends had a leather strap on cover, 1/2 way up way from ankle to knee. Local guy made it for him. Has issues with heat on his Touring bike during heavy traffic or parades. You may consider wrapping rear pipe may help a little. Hopefully she is not wearing shorts, just kidding. Capt. Itch makes custom items.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
If a shroud of some type could be mounted it could direct the airflow/heat past and to the rear....
That is pretty much what the Capt. Itch Crotch Cooler does.
Get`s rave reviews. And no mention oh engine overheating.
Wrapping the rear pipe might help. But if you go that route then both should be done. IMO

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found out that Harley makes them for the 'big' bikes but not for the Sportster. Go figure... I gave her all the info, now it's up to her what she wants to do.... As always, thanks for all your input. That's what makes this such a GREAT Forum....

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Want to get a shield for the GF`s 02 Dyna.
After reading reviews have of several, HD`s offering included.
Seem`s Capt. Itches is the only one that really works. Do`t know why. Or what the differences are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts