Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a naaaasty noise coming from my top end and I went to pull my rear rocker box and the frame is in the way. Its a 1996 fxd, is there a trick to pulling it with pulling the whole engine? I already replaced the rods and lifters.

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
The top cover slides out. The rocker support plate gets stuck on the intake valve spring so the MoCo has a special tool to compress the spring to get the plate out. To get around that you can unbolt the top motor mount and remove the front mount. Put a jack under the engine case to support the engine then lower it after the motor mount is removed. That will give you more than enough room to remove and re-install the rocker boxes.

·
evohogfarts
1,512 Posts
Cam & lifters and lifter blocks. Lifter blocks do wear and lose full oil flow to the top end.
Some times crap {dirt ect,} will plug the hole in the lifter, and some times a new lifter can be bad. The push rods and All the screws need to be taken out so the rocker box will clear the frame and comes out the exhaust side of the bike.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I can get the rear rocker box off of my '92 FXDC without removing the mounts, by taking the plugs out and bumping the starter. When the intake is open I can wiggle it out. But it's close. Schmidty's method is foolproof, and prevents misalignment of the NEW rocker box gaskets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts