Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think these air adjustable shocks [email protected]#k. I have an 07 and am going to change them out. I did fit a True-track on the bike and that has helped the handling but these shocks are lacking for sure. any owners feel the same way? Leaning towards Works Performance for replacements.

Uptown

·
Registered
55 Posts
My understanding is that the swingarm is mounted to bike in such a way asa to allow flex. Even 1 or 2 degrees off of perfect is a significant amount when you are leaned over in a high speed corner.
I'm not real happy with my bikes handling and a True Trac is definately going on this winter.
The stock shocks are also junk. I've decided on Works Performance shocks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got rid of the air adjustable stock shocks on my 02 Ultra early on. Went with the Progressive 440's and love them ! The hand turn adjustable ring is perfect for getting that difference between riding with a passenger or riding solo.

If you might be interested, I have a good friend that is an indy dealer who can get them to you for just a little over his cost.... pretty good savings !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey HOGPRO......I went to this bike from a v-rod and this bike exhibits rear steer at speed in sweepers. True-track solved that but it is still a bit shy of cornering like it is on rails. Erik Buell designed these frames but did not put in his patented 3 point mounting system for rubber mounted motors....wtf, why not is beyond me? The stock shocks suck like every HD I have ever owned...this is my 13th one. I ran Works Performance Pro-Racers on the V-rod and loved them.....not alot of options for the Road Glide it seems.
DaveT.....can ya PM me w/ info on the Progressive hookup? Any other thoughts from members? Also....I wish I could use a fork brace up front but this cowbell suspension makes that impossible.....Damn...I want a fast bagger that handles.

Uptown

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey HOGPRO......I went to this bike from a v-rod and this bike exhibits rear steer at speed in sweepers. True-track solved that but it is still a bit shy of cornering like it is on rails. Erik Buell designed these frames but did not put in his patented 3 point mounting system for rubber mounted motors....wtf, why not is beyond me? The stock shocks suck like every HD I have ever owned...this is my 13th one. I ran Works Performance Pro-Racers on the V-rod and loved them.....not alot of options for the Road Glide it seems.
DaveT.....can ya PM me w/ info on the Progressive hookup? Any other thoughts from members? Also....I wish I could use a fork brace up front but this cowbell suspension makes that impossible.....Damn...I want a fast bagger that handles.

Uptown
harleypower69,

My source is California Phil.... Phil.... from Concordia, Kansas. (He's a transplanted California dude, that explains the name). Super person, good friend.

Tell him that DaveT referred you for his good prices and FAST service, he will treat you right if you decide to buy from him. I have referred many, many riders over the years and no one has been disapointed yet.

Here's his contact information, probably best if you call him rather than e-mail.... a little faster that way. ;)

http://www.harleypartscheap.com

California Phils
902 Lincoln
Concordia, KS 66901
Phone: (785) 243-9991
email: [email protected]

Certainly hope this helps you out. Phil is a dealer for just about all the aftermarket companies and has saved me a lot of money over the years with shocks, tires, exhaust systems, filters, Mustang seats, Mustang backrests,Rivco center stand, Rivco air horn, chrome parts, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Uptown,
We found on our turbo baggers that if you go to Metzler tires they handle 10 times better, If you are looking for shocks, Works shocks are great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uptown,
We found on our turbo baggers that if you go to Metzler tires they handle 10 times better, If you are looking for shocks, Works shocks are great.
Which particular Metzlers and which shocks from Works do you guys suggest. I have to get this Glide handling better. Thanks, RESPECT.

Uptown

·
Registered
47 Posts
My vote is also for the 440s. I had bigger rate springs put in mine.
They make the standard 440s and then they make the 440s in heavy duty.
I needed the latter:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Harley69:

Try the Legend Air Rides too.. They do the job!!! If you hook up their switch and get the air gauge you can decide what exact pressure work for you in a variety of riding situations.

THE END TO END TRAVEL IS 4"

Regards

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
Harley Power,

Here's my .02

I put the Metzeler ME880 Marathon tires and the progressive 440 shocks (standard) on my 04 Electra Glide Classic. These by far are the best investments I've made for the bike to date. I will never run Dunlop again. The Shocks are easily adjustable but you have to take the saddle bags off to do it........

You will tell a HUGE difference in handleing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Shock Options

Penske shocks are now out. No air adjust. Most comfort & best out there period, read about them in several other places. A member of another forum has expensive air ride shocks for sale as he is going non-air ride. The prices new on those after market shocks are expensive. I think he wants 1/2 price. I do not know him except he has been around a long time posting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, I think I'll go to my local dealer today have it checked out. I try to do my best to keep my bike in the best working order. I've had new brakes put on it, exhaust system, belt drive, and tires, oil change, and a gear replaced don't remember what it was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm putting 440's on my Titan Chopper and getting rid of the nitrogen shocks. Maybe I should consider for the Road Glide too. They just seem clunky to me, especially with my wife on the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How big a guy are you Markcuda? I'm about 225 and my wife is about 125. I'm putting standard 440's on my chopper, but maybe should go heavy for the bagger, it's 925 lbs!

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
How big a guy are you Markcuda? I'm about 225 and my wife is about 125. I'm putting standard 440's on my chopper, but maybe should go heavy for the bagger, it's 925 lbs!
Markcuda hasn't been around since 2009.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
HPTURBO.....waiting for an answer????

Uptown
You want the Metzeler ME 880 Marathon Touring. Period. Any other tire is second, anyone who says different isn’t as aware of all the tires out there. Yes there are lots of good tires out there and opinions vary, but they aren’t as informed. I used to co-own a shop in Salt Lake and I’ve test ridden them all and got word from all my friends and customers of the same. (wet roads being the most concern) I was so confident in them that I told friends and customers that if they didn’t like them the next set of whatever they wanted was on me, I Never had to pay up.

The Dunlop crap Harley sells is death on 2 rims. The 880’s have a much better transition between the hard top and soft side. This completely removes the wallowing you get in high speed curves. If I were you, I’d do a burnout at my local bar and get a Metz ASAP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts