Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do rear shocks have to be totally straight from top to bottom eyes? My rears cant out ( useing a spacer)about 1/4" on the bottom or they would hit my lowering bracket.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's better if they are. The eye bushings will give a bit, but you'll have binding when the shocks compress more than a little. Why don't you add a couple washers behind the top eye to space it out, too?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
It would be better to shim the top as well, so the shock isn't canted. There would be less stress on the bushings.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
It would be better to shim the top as well, so the shock isn't canted. There would be less stress on the bushings.

It's better if they are. The eye bushings will give a bit, but you'll have binding when the shocks compress more than a little. Why don't you add a couple washers behind the top eye to space it out, too?
Agreed. No need to add stresses if you don't have to

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I'm saying
:what?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
You have a pretty good side load on the shafts,seals and pistons. They should not squeeze together as they travel up. Spacers may correct, IF you have enough room on the top mounts.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Whoa! I'd fix that ASAP. I imagined a slight offset at the bottom, but that's way too much to ride it as-is. Something's gotta give when you hit that first big pothole...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing I can think of doing is to grind the lowering bracket where the shock hits it and then remove the spacer. Only other option is to shim the top out. I will get some thick fender washers and try that. I don't want to get rid of the lowering.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yeah, as long as your top mounting bolt is long enough, just shim the top out. If not, a longer bolt will cure that.

·
Registered
38,931 Posts
There are some lowering blocks that won't cant the bottom of the shocks out like that.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Yeah you really need new lowering brackets. The shocks are supposed to be parallel. As the shocks compress that's causing them to bind which will destroy the seals.

·
Registered
38,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Coming Monday.:thumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts