Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the shocks on my 89 customized sportster from 12" standard to Showa 97c air shocks. Being 13" the height of the seat(lePara gel)is up just enough so that I drag my boot on the seat when getting off(I'm 69 yo and not so nimble any more). A friend has a set of 11.5" progesseives 412 4006, he bought and never installed. Want's $70 for them. Questions are, about how much lower will the seat be with the 11.5"? Since the shocks are not perfectly vertical I don't expect the 1.5" difference. I like the ride from the Showas. Will the progressives be comparable? Or should I just live with the height problem? Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to wast time and money. Thanks.
Jim

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Or.. Have you tried getting on from the high side? Once I put the backrest on my King, I have to do the lateral dance to get on. I've tried a few times but just can't get use to it. Just another thought for you rather than replacing shocks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe a lowering kit, then you can retain the longer travel? Making an assumption that the longer shocks provide longer travel, this may not be true.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I would have to agree that putting shorter shocks on to make getting on the bike easier may not be the best thing to do. It Hurts when they bottom out Get elevator boots It,s easier

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The progressives are only 1/2" shorter than the Harley standards. The Showa air, on the bike now are 1" longer than the originals. I was hoping that only being 1/2" shorter and progressive they would not bottom. I just don't want to spend the money on them if the ride will suffer. The extra 1" to 1/2" would give me the extra room that I need. Going up 1" with the showas is what caused me to drag my boot when dismounting. The showas don't look as nice either, but I'll live with them if I have to give up the ride quality. Don't want to go back to standards, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
From the advise of a good friend he loved the progressives. He took care of his stuff until he got hit then he couldn,t ride any more with one arm so if he says there good I believe him. I couldn,t say from experience so I hope someone can give you a good answer I may even take there advise My stock shocks suck. He eleuded to the fact that they came with the wrench to adjust then according to his liking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I just talked to the guy with the progressives and he said go ahead and try them out before paying. I think I will. If I think the ride is close to the showas, I'll buy them.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My old legs and cranky hip have caused me to mount from the right side, it's not bad once you get used to it. Looks funny but I don't care!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have had the progressives on for a few days now. Hight is perfect, ride is good, although a little stiffer than the showa airs. Bike feels tighter and more controllable than the airs. I'm sticking with them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
FYI, the stock shocks were 12.5" unless you have a Hugger, which were 11.75".

·
Registered
695 Posts
So your Progressives are only 1/4" shorter than your stock shocks were...a pretty close match. I have 12" progressives on mine. They are better than the stock shocks were, but are a bit stiff. I run them on the lowest preload setting when riding solo (I weigh about 195), but bump them up a notch when my wife goes for a spin with me. I didn't like the look of the double chrome cups, so I took the lower ones off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts