Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a small accident this past weekend (hit a patch of gravel in a turn and went down, but no injuries and only minor repairs needed for the bike) and I need a new rear turn signal as it was damaged pretty badly. I have a 2002 1200C and the turn signals are on the side of the fender attached by the bracket. My question, I have thought about adding dual filament turn signals similar to what is on the 48 and iron but is that possible? I won't be replacing my tail light but these would just add more light for the brake light and all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So I had a small accident this past weekend (hit a patch of gravel in a turn and went down, but no injuries and only minor repairs needed for the bike) and I need a new rear turn signal as it was damaged pretty badly. I have a 2002 1200C and the turn signals are on the side of the fender attached by the bracket. My question, I have thought about adding dual filament turn signals similar to what is on the 48 and iron but is that possible? I won't be replacing my tail light but these would just add more light for the brake light and all.
I'm assuming that's possible. The dual filament lights come with their own wiring, is it possible to splice right into one of the brake light wires and route to the taillight? I'm sure you're not the first to do this.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I don't know if it's the same for Sportsters, but on the Touring bikes (my RK) Harley has a plug-in adapter for the taillight wiring harness that controls the intensity of the single filament turn signal bulbs. It converts them to dual-intensity for running lights, turn and brake light functions without having to change the bulbs. It comes in a kit with two new red lenses. Makes it easy.

--

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm positive that is not the case on my 2002 sporty; could be on new models but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If you want the "new" lights to act as brake and turn, you need the isolator so that the turn signals and brake don't interfere with each other. Harley part, plugs in the wiring harness..

·
Registered
270 Posts
by the by... more importantly glad you're ok!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't know if it's the same for Sportsters, but on the Touring bikes (my RK) Harley has a plug-in adapter for the taillight wiring harness that controls the intensity of the single filament turn signal bulbs. It converts them to dual-intensity for running lights, turn and brake light functions without having to change the bulbs. It comes in a kit with two new red lenses. Makes it easy.

--
I put this kit on my 2012 1200C and it is just a plug and play under the seat. Sooooo Easy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you want the "new" lights to act as brake and turn, you need the isolator so that the turn signals and brake don't interfere with each other. Harley part, plugs in the wiring harness..
The Harley plug and play is already prewired for just that. Actually I've done this on Honda's too. All it takes is a resistor on the run side of the wire and a diode on each side of the brake and turn wires. That way the turn signal current does not flow to the opposite side and resistor dims the run light just enough to tell the difference between the running, and turn/stop side.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I've also done what you did, but since he needs to replace the lights, he can use dual filament bulbs and then either diodes or the factory "box"

·
Registered
556 Posts
Has anyone replaced their Rear Turnsignal bulbs to LED? I purchased a pair of LED 1156 replacement bulbs from Autozone and I can not get them to push into the socket far enough for the pins to catch and lock in place. It is either a bad brand or Harley uses a slightly deeper socket. I need help in what brand LED 1156 bulbs to purchase to make this work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If your rear turn signals are the same as on a 2000 I can give you mine I took off. I'm supposed to be in lewisville this coming weekend.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If your rear turn signals are the same as on a 2000 I can give you mine I took off. I'm supposed to be in lewisville this coming weekend.
I can not make it up to to Lewisville. Wife is having surgery. But what brand did you install? It should say on the bulb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts