Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my rear wheel bearing blow out on my 2012 Dyna Wide Glide with 28K. Anyone else experience similar?

Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Your lucky you got 28 k and you did not get hurt...
I had two wheel bearing failures on my rocker. first one at 6k, fixed under so called warranty. Next 7 k later at 65 mph, almost crashed, did 1200 bucks damage plus the bearing...They tried to stiff me on the 1200 bucks but I Professionally reminded them of THEIR responsibility...They fixed it but were mad at me...Really, no more money your way...ever...LOL.
Anyway, the hd mechanic told me right in front of the service mgr. that the baerings after 08 are crap...he showed me the NEW one he was putting in my bike. He says, look at this, it has rust on it already...it will fail. Then he installed it...Really...He told me also they had opened up a couple new ones and they have almost NO GREASE in them...
I had both sets ripped out immediately and replaced with Timken or All Balls...Never HD bearings again...Do a search on this site and a couple others and you will see this is a serious problem after 08...
Love my bike, but would never ride on their wheel bearings ever. Nice thing is a whole set of QUALITY bearings cost about 30 bucks...Very cheap life insurance...
Ride safe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The rear wheel was shaking so much that it broke the belt guard and really scratched the hell out of sprocket. I did get the extended warranty so I am hoping that all is covered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your lucky you got 28 k and you did not get hurt...
I had two wheel bearing failures on my rocker. first one at 6k, fixed under so called warranty. Next 7 k later at 65 mph, almost crashed, did 1200 bucks damage plus the bearing...They tried to stiff me on the 1200 bucks but I Professionally reminded them of THEIR responsibility...They fixed it but were mad at me...Really, no more money your way...ever...LOL.
Anyway, the hd mechanic told me right in front of the service mgr. that the baerings after 08 are crap...he showed me the NEW one he was putting in my bike. He says, look at this, it has rust on it already...it will fail. Then he installed it...Really...He told me also they had opened up a couple new ones and they have almost NO GREASE in them...
I had both sets ripped out immediately and replaced with Timken or All Balls...Never HD bearings again...Do a search on this site and a couple others and you will see this is a serious problem after 08...
Love my bike, but would never ride on their wheel bearings ever. Nice thing is a whole set of QUALITY bearings cost about 30 bucks...Very cheap life insurance...
Ride safe.
Shouldn't Safety Issues threads become sticky? Everybody should know about this. Not the first time I read this kind of comment about those cheap bearings. I will add this note to my to do list. Many many thanks!!!

·
Poser Member # 99
17,211 Posts
I hope you realized this is a forum not a Harley service site . or a Factory recall or service site . Were here to ask question's and get advice on how to Fix things . Our advice is great, good and some times off the tracks . It just our Past experience's and how we do mechanical repairs. you can use our advice or not but we are not here to police and issue recalls or things like that

This is solely my opinion and my thoughts it don't represent the Forums guidelines or solutions

Big [email protected]

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Damn.......I have over 50,000 miles on my original wheel bearings front and rear 2010 Ultra Limited.
Asked my service guy last time I got tires and he said he hasn't seen a lot of bearing failure. He says check when getting new tires and if good ride that mo fo.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,060 Posts
I am at the 50K mark on my Ultra with factory issue bearings. It is my intention to run the bike until the tires are ready to retire (23K on them right now) and then replace them, bearings (with Timkens), and brakes which I changed last time I put tires on the bike. I figure with the stories about bearing failures I have already heard, changing them and putting in a better class bearing would be a good move at a good time.

·
Wayward Son
23,057 Posts
Shouldn't Safety Issues threads become sticky? Everybody should know about this.
We do try to keep track of recalls as they are issued. But if not an Official MoCo recall..... :dunno

Not trying to belittle the safety issue. Just say`in......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear wheel bearing blowout

i had a rear wheel bearing go out Dec 2015 on the right side, which damaged the rim. And now the bearing went out on the pulley side today.2017. Maybe bearing defect or axle.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,421 Posts
Happens when high pressure washer violates the seal on the bearing. Washes the lube out.

Happened to the wheel bearings on my VRSCA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Happens when high pressure washer violates the seal on the bearing. Washes the lube out.

Been washing my bikes for years with a hotsy never had a wash related failure

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Bearings fail! How much mileage, time doesn't matter. They always fail slowly, so you should be able to detect a failing bearing, long before it just gives up. I suggest a little more preventive maintenance, and yes pressure washing and dirwecting the washer to the bearings will cause failures.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,113 Posts

Over tightening them can mess them up too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts