Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all…

Due to the countless threads about the Wide Glide rear wheel offset that I found, mostly to the left as I had, I want to share my situation and how it was fixed. I know this is a bit of a read, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible to hopefully help others.

No…. IT IS NOT NORMAL FOR THE REAR WHEEL TO BE OFFSET IN THE FENDER… HD did NOT do this to compensate for the additional weight of the transmission and running gear on the left side of the bike as others have stated…

My ride is a 2004 Wide Glide. After having a passenger on the back, I happened to notice the paint color from the fender was on the left side of the tire wall. After more inspection, I realized I could barely fit my fingers between the left side of the fender and the tire, yet had over two fingers width of space on the right side. Sitting on the bike and reaching under the left side of the fender, I couldn’t even fit my pinky there. Definitely a problem. Getting the bike up on my lift, I noticed there was some rubber powder on the tail light mount left nut inside the fender and the left turn signal wire sheathing was worn down to the wire. I did the usual and measured the distance from the middle of the axle to the end of the swingarm, etc…. Getting the bike perfectly level left to right and the swingarm was higher on the right side than the left, thus the rear wheel was technically leaning to the left resulting in the top of the wheel being closer to the top of the fender. Now the question is WHY???? Start checking all the engine mounts and it turned out somehow, someway, the top engine mount bracket (see image, Item #13) just under the gas tank, the one where the horn is also mounted to, was bent. The front and rear mounting points that bolt to the heads of the engine were twisted to the left, thus the entire engine and driveline, including the swingarm, were cocked to the left. New bracket, part # 16331-04 and everything is back in line, rear wheel is centered in fender.

My concern is, why does this appear to be such a common issue raised by so many people on all the forums? I’ve seen pictures of people’s WGs that looked just like mine with the rear wheel clearly to the left of the center of the tail light and plate. My bike does not appear to have been wrecked, heck I bought it from my older neighbor and original owner three doors down because he’s been sick and can’t ride anymore. I doubt he would screw his neighbor, let alone a fellow Harley rider. The engine mount bracket is 3/16” steel and looks like it would take one hell of an impact to bend to the point if it was the result of a wreck, the rider would not have survived and the bike would have had to be mangled. Then the thought was maybe hitting a huge pothole that jarred the entire driveline, but again, that would have had to be such a huge hit that I don’t think anyone would have been able to walk away from. The bends on my bracket seem too perfect and the powdercoat isn’t cracked off either. I almost keep thinking this bracket is somehow from another bike and was used on this in error since it’s such a common issue raised. I just don’t know.

Anyway, I wanted to share this story with the community as I know many look to put wider tires in the back, etc. So if you have this issue, have a look at that top engine mount. The front and rear mounting points that bolt to the heads should be perfectly flat. It’s very easy to check out without removing the gas tank. Just get down and look underneath and you will see it..

Safe riding…

Attachments

·
Registered
43,102 Posts
Yup, on Dynas, Touring bikes and 04up Sportsters that is one thing to check is the top motor mount heim joint to make sure the engine is properly aligned.

This also affects swing arm alignment.

Soft Tails have rigid mount motors, no adjustment like that for those.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.