Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 Night Train

I'm getting rid of the cast wheel and going to a wider laced rear wheel. When I removed all the tension from the old wheel axle, the swing-arm expanded out to where there was approx 1/2 inch of play on the axle.
From information on the internet and magazines, they indicate, on customs anyway, that the free space is filled with spacers and then the axle is torqued down.
The Harley shop manual makes no remarks about free space other than to use the factory parts and torque the wheel down.
Since I'm staying with the factory swing arm, do I put it all back together according to factory specs or do I add more spacers to get rid of as much play as possible??

Thanks, Gordon

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
What you need to do is make sure the brake disc is aligned and the belt running true, then apply spacers as needed. One would hope the wheel you're getting would be set-up for the application you putting it in. The hub spacing should be the same as your original wheel, if it's different then you will need to measure and make spacers, if the same you should be able to use the original spacers. Just remember, the brake disc needs to be the same distance from the swing arm as it is now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info bobf. I haven't selected a wheel yet but will use your info as a guide. Is it normal for factory swing arms to be under such tension as to spring open the 1/2" as mine did? The bike was bought new from the dealer and has never crashed so I'm just curious.
Thanks again.

Gordon

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
It sounds to me like you are missing a spacer.

You need to make sure you have all the correct spacers, there should not be 1/2 inch space between the spacer and the swingarm before torquing the nut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts