Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I saw the other thread you started as well. My questions is, why? Front only brake in an emergency will put your ass down FAST. What are you trying to gain? Less weight?

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
109 Posts
2006 what??? Fastest down the hill? No Brakes? Or Beach??? The Race of Gentlemen?? lol I say YES!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Do you not use the rear brake for slow-speed riding . . .

·
weird member
2,172 Posts
I'm so glad you guys jumped on this.

I was going to make a Flintstones joke last night when I saw this and I thought "am I being too much of a dick?" and didn't end up posting.

Can it run? Yes, it can. Can you ride it without one? Yes, you can. Should you? Definitely not.

Yes, the front brake might be the majority of the stopping power, but it's not all of it. The front brake is not what you want to use for control when going down a steep hill. Find a gravel drive in particular that is steep and try to go down it without a rear brake, it won't be fun.

Also, I like how the duplicate thread was titled "Safety". Like, is it safe to run without your rear brake? That's a question that shouldn't even have to be asked. Absolutely not.

To be honest, I don't know why anyone would even question whether that's an OK thing to do. Sure, you can get away with front brake only in a parking lot or something at low speed, but the minute you get on the road, you're going to miss that 25% or whatever it is stopping power the rear brake adds, but you won't miss the car you're trying to not hit.

I was wondering why such a question was even asked, like, why even consider not having a rear brake? Trying to save money? What's the typical cost of a brake disk, $75-100? Yeah, shouldn't be a money issue, and safety is definitely not a place to pinch pennies.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Haven't heard from the OP . . . hope he didn't find out the hard way that rear brakes are a good thing!

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
Where the fùck do they come from?

·
Registered
21,795 Posts
Depending on where you ride, the rules may be different.
On the street , they are required by law.
On the racetrack , it depends on the rules of the class you are in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts