Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Ultra EFI and am getting ready to put it away for the winter. I have been to 2 dealers in my area and have asked if there is anything I should have done on my bike over winter and have not received any firm advice. The bike has 52,000 miles on it and I do not want it to fail during our short riding season. I put on about 20,000 per year. Any and all help would be great. The motor is stock with a set of long shots on it.
Thanks, Paul

·
Super Moderator
12,729 Posts
Welcome!!!

I redid my top end at 80,000 and honestly... it didn't need it. For "fun" I bored it out .010" over and put screamin' eagle heads, S&S hi flow/hi volume oil pump.

If it is not leaking anywhere and the power seems to be fine and you have good oil pressure... I wouldn't do a thing unless you wanted to.

If you start leaking oil from your air filter, let me know. Been there and it can be fixed without a total top end.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
The Twin Cam motor has cam chain tensioners with nylon composite shoes, and these have proven to be a wear item even though they are not on the regular maintenance schedule. Some riders have seen these shoes wear down until there was metal to metal contact against the cam chain, while others have experienced no wear.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,181 Posts
Maybe it's the Republican in me, but my feeling is, if you let somebody mess with something
that isn't really broke, chances are pretty good it'll be worse after than before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. Think I decided to do a leak down test on the motor and install the S&S gear drive cams in it. If the leak down tests are good I am not going to touch anything else.
Thanks again, Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts