1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
H&H Trailer. out of Iowa, Do your homework, you'll find they're top quality

·
Registered
161 Posts
Since I own a landscape company here in Florida and have owned probably 50 different trailers over the last 10 years I'll weigh in on this.

If the floor is wood make sure it's 3/4 pressure treated plywood floor. Make sure the cross beams are as close as the company that builds the trailer is willing to install them and make sure every seam on the floor is supported by a beam. You can tell by just simply looking down at the floor. If the seam has hardware on both sides there's a beam underneath it. I've seen 12", 16", and 24" installations. Since the trailer you are looking at is going to start at 18 feet long do some math on total potential bike weight + trailer weight to see if 3500lb axles will work (tandem.) Don't buy the heavier axles if you don't need to buy them. Although, if you do get the 5000lb axles anyway your resale value will probably be higher. With regard to axles GET TORSION AXLES. Doesn't matter who makes them although I recommend Dexters. Leaf spring setups see 3 times more maintenance and broken suspension issues than any torsion set up I own. Also torsion systems see less 'lefty righty' travel than leaf systems. If you can find it get the extended tongue. All of mine are 2 feet longer than a normal tongue. Makes turning in tight spots a little less nerve racking.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I would advise that you look at things like this rather than a name brand.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Since I own a landscape company here in Florida and have owned probably 50 different trailers over the last 10 years I'll weigh in on this.

If the floor is wood make sure it's 3/4 pressure treated plywood floor. Make sure the cross beams are as close as the company that builds the trailer is willing to install them and make sure every seam on the floor is supported by a beam. You can tell by just simply looking down at the floor. If the seam has hardware on both sides there's a beam underneath it. I've seen 12", 16", and 24" installations. Since the trailer you are looking at is going to start at 18 feet long do some math on total potential bike weight + trailer weight to see if 3500lb axles will work (tandem.) Don't buy the heavier axles if you don't need to buy them. Although, if you do get the 5000lb axles anyway your resale value will probably be higher. With regard to axles GET TORSION AXLES. Doesn't matter who makes them although I recommend Dexters. Leaf spring setups see 3 times more maintenance and broken suspension issues than any torsion set up I own. Also torsion systems see less 'lefty righty' travel than leaf systems. If you can find it get the extended tongue. All of mine are 2 feet longer than a normal tongue. Makes turning in tight spots a little less nerve racking.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I would advise that you look at things like this rather than a name brand.
I wanna find fault in this, but I can't. :laugh

The 2' extra tongue makes a huge difference, and look for a one piece roof.

You get what you pay for Chris, cheaper is just that.

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
All good advice thus far.

I'll add LED lighting all-around, brakes on both axles, and an unfinished interior. I always regretted getting suckered into a melamine interior. It just makes adding things more difficult.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
All good advice thus far.

I'll add LED lighting all-around, brakes on both axles, and an unfinished interior. I always regretted getting suckered into a melamine interior. It just makes adding things more difficult.

DAMN!!!! Forgot the LED lighting!!!! Good catch. Reverse lights too, if you are ordering a trailer the cost is nothing, and it helps people from not knowing you are backing up....seen stupid people all the time pulling and around trailers that were in motion....REVERSE motion.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,016 Posts
Plus one on Dexter torsion.

Make sure you get 5 bolt on 4.5 spacing Or 6 on 5.5 for the hub pattern.

This makes sure if something happens a new wheel is going to be easy to get on a long weekend Sunday in a small town.

If you have the choice get Dexter Nev R Lub bearings. 100,000 mile warranty and no lubing every year. If not that get EZ Lube bearings.

Someone said brakes on both. Also consider the new disc brakes. I converted last year and would say best upgrade I made in a long time. If the offer Titan electric over hydraulic it is worth the money.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Some serious trailer info for the OP. I appreciate it as well. And I can't believe we haven't had even one "I don't use no damn trailer, I ride" comment.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a H&H 7x14 tandem axle, electric brakes, led lighting, underside rust proofed and love it. Got it used from a service member who moved from SD to San Antonio, TX. I got it unfinished, so painted the floor, installed blemished etrac, and made a lightweight balsa wood cabinet for the vnose area.. Wife and I pull out bike and put up cots inside and camp out of it..
It's setup currently for one bike but will hold multiple bikes easily..

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts