Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two quick questions, can anyone tell me the red line on my 03 883C? I can find most specs but not this one. also, the 08's are calling for 91 octane. What should the 03's run?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Use the highest octane you can find - thats is the minmum recommended octane.
Redline? good question - Softails are 6200 due to the balancer chain - all others are 7000. I imagine your Sporty would be in that region.
Rest assured tho - you cannot over-revv they bike as the timing is retarded as you approach the red-line.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Your rev limiter is at 6800 unless it has been changed. You need 91 octane.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I found it somewhat surprising that in the description of the features included in dealer performance mods,
on my 2005 TC88 and probably others, one of the adjustments made with just the install of the
free flowing air intake and exhaust is substantially raised rev limit. I think it was from 5500 to 6200.
Or was that 6500 to 7200?
That apparently means rev the limit was originally set based on intake airflow restrictions.

·
Registered
40,785 Posts
That apparently means rev the limit was originally set based on intake airflow restrictions.
I think the MoCo is just conservative on where they set their rev limits from the factory. Having an overly restrictive intake would make it difficult to accelerate at higher RPMs.

·
Registered
40,785 Posts
I believe that the rev limits as set by the factory are:
TC88 -> 5500 (Dealer flash raises it to 6200)
TC96 -> 6200
Sportster -> 5300(pre '04 1200) - 5500(pre '04 883), 6000(04+) I believe dealer reflash takes it to 6800.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Stock Sportster will rev way higher than a Pig Twin.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Gimme a break - any bike that needs to rev high has kinda missed the point anyways :D
I'm as TORQUE RULES inclined as anybody, (on even days anyway,) but even with the LowRider reflashed
to 6200 with the 95 inch kit and reduced restriction intake, I'll have to admit I hit the rev limiter a lot,
passing 3 cars usually, and w/o it I'd probably go a good bit above the limit, cause I'm always kind of
surprised when the limiter kills the fire.

....the speeds and quickness implict to a motorcycle's size and power to weight ratio
can get you to a dangerous place double quick. Maybe the morgue.

Think twice about when it's safe to use a bike's quickness.
Hmm. Sounded more sane and sensible before, didn't I?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I believe that the rev limits as set by the factory are:
TC88 -> 5500 (Dealer flash raises it to 6200)
TC96 -> 6200
Sportster -> 5200(pre '04 1200) - 5500(pre '04 883), 6000(04+) I believe dealer reflash takes it to 6800.
It appears that the only error I can find is that the pre-04 is 5300 rpm. I am simply stunned. I always considered myself pretty well versed in Sportster-dom as they have always been my favorite Harleys.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reflash?

OK, what does reflash mean? I am new to the bike scene, especially Harley's ( I learned on a 75 CB500T, so I know a bit about vibration as well!), am very familiar with points, carbs etc. from the cars I have wrenched but I am finding there is a lot to learn about bikes. The RPM question is just that. I didn't buy a Harley to go fast, I really like the low end torque and am pleased that I don't have to keep the 883 at 5K to minimze vibration. I have added a tach and other gauges so thought I would like to know the magic number!

·
Registered
40,785 Posts
Reflashing is reprogramming the ignition module (ECM) on the bikes that have a reprogrammable ignition module.... Twin Cams, VRods... I assume the new EFI Sportsters are the same way. On your bike, you would have to buy a new ignition module to raise the rev limit/change the ignition curve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts