Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody else using this? i like it alot in my new 6 speed. this is the first bike i have run this in. i run spectro in my 5 speed, thinking about redline for it also. any thoughts?

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I have been using it for last 3 years and love the stuff!
First in my 5 speed and now in my 6.

·
Banned
482 Posts
I use it in my 05 RK. Much softer/surer shifts than the 20-50 syn I used previously.
I switched to Redline because folks suggested just what you're saying. Plus it was supposed to make shifting into neutral easier. I can't see it, feel it or hear it. Just seems like oil to me but I got enough for two more changes anyway. So I got nothing good or bad to say about it.

·
PRO BIKE FLIPPER
1,351 Posts
Redline is hands down the best of the best, we do it in about 50-60% of the bikes that come through our shop

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I tried 20w50 motor oil (Amsoil), Redline, Mobile1 synth and Amsoil severe gear in the transmission on the Heritage. I thought that the difference between the motor oil and the true gear oil was noticeable, but I can't tell any difference between any of the three synthetic gear oils as far as the shift feel and/or the sound of the transmission.

When I installed the new clutch cable on the EGC, I decided to change the tranny lube. I went with Mobile1 because I can buy it at Autozone up the street.

·
Registered
56 Posts
easier to see your level and made my shifting somewhat smoother i think. Last change I opted for Mag1 full synthetic 75w-140 since it was on sale for 7.00 bucks. Can't tell any difference between the two but checking level sucks since it is so clear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I switched to Redline a couple of years ago and still use it. I was skeptical, but I immediately noticed the shifting was smoother and quieter. The tranny only takes one quart, so price difference should be a non-issue. The only way to know is to try it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts
The only reason I run it is the color so If I get a leak, I can at least get an idea where to look for it. I've run bunches of different tranny oils and there isn't that much difference in them in my experience.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Can this be used for primary fluid too?
I love the idea of using it in the tranny for ID purposes in case of a leak. It would be cool to get primary fluid that's green.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Can this be used for primary fluid too?
I love the idea of using it in the tranny for ID purposes in case of a leak. It would be cool to get primary fluid that's green.
You definitely would not want to put heavy gear oil in the primary. I actually use lighter oil in mine. Some guys prefer ATF which is about a 10 wt.

The clutch would drag and it would shift like a$$ with gear oil in it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I prefer the Belray 6 speed oil myself....super quiets the 5th gear whine..... when the whine starts coming back, it's time to change the oil....

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I ask because the oil I get from HD is for both. I guess the Syn3 is for all three, so I just figured...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been running the Redline in my '12 RK since the 1000 mile service. The first thing I noticed with it over whatever the MoCo puts in at the factory is the trans is butter smooth shifting. Neutral is much easier to find as well.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Switched to this with 10K miles on my 2012 and now, 8K miles later, I am very pleased with the shifting (smoother and more exact) and the reduction in "clunking" in first gear (not completely gone, but definitely not as bad as before.)

It did increase the amount of gear 'whine' that I hear, but the trade-off it worth it given what I stated previously.

I am committed to use this from now on.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been using it since my last trans fluid change at 10K. No complaints but can't say I feel any major difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts