Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of used reactor rims for my VROD

The front is polished and the rear is chromed. I want to coat them black with a red/orange pinstripe like my stock wheels. I was thinking of powder coating them. Do you think this is the best way to go about it or is there a better method? Tips? Ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
39,440 Posts
Powdercoating would be a fine way to go. Theres a company out of Oriskany NY that I've used for most of my powdercoating.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,174 Posts
There is another process that would be different, so that may mean expensive, the ultimate hi tech aluminum treatment, it is mil-spec hard anodize. Black, prolly not too glossy. It's a lot different than normal anodizing, for one thing, according to what I read on it, the surface coating becomes harder than tool steel, almost as hard as a diamond. And it's not just on the surface, it grows into the metal to some depth. I had chatted in PM with Max about it once a good while ago, I had been around it 30 years ago at Texas Instruments on military contract hardware, he asked, and I asked some people still doing that kind of work, and got him some company names that I thought offered that service commercially in my area.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Well I had this conversation on another site and its all about preferance.
I dont like powder coating at all I like ureathane paint.
The chrome one I would sand blast with backing soda or walnut shells do some hand sanding chemical wash em ,etch prime,then primer sealer a little more fine sanding then color or milti color then
couple coats of clear and wala!!custom wheels.Let em sit for a week so the paint is good and hard and then mount the tires.
and if you dont want gloss you can go satin.

Whats the sporty in the background??inverted forks and drop frame
What you doin willis!!???

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is another process that would be different, so that may mean expensive, the ultimate hi tech aluminum treatment, it is mil-spec hard anodize. Black, prolly not too glossy. It's a lot different than normal anodizing, for one thing, according to what I read on it, the surface coating becomes harder than tool steel, almost as hard as a diamond. And it's not just on the surface, it grows into the metal to some depth. I had chatted in PM with Max about it once a good while ago, I had been around it 30 years ago at Texas Instruments on military contract hardware, he asked, and I asked some people still doing that kind of work, and got him some company names that I thought offered that service commercially in my area.

Interesting stuff!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had this conversation on another site and its all about preferance.
I dont like powder coating at all I like ureathane paint.
The chrome one I would sand blast with backing soda or walnut shells do some hand sanding chemical wash em ,etch prime,then primer sealer a little more fine sanding then color or milti color then
couple coats of clear and wala!!custom wheels.Let em sit for a week so the paint is good and hard and then mount the tires.
and if you dont want gloss you can go satin.

Whats the sporty in the background??inverted forks and drop frame
What you doin willis!!???

Dean,

Thanks for your expertise. I will consider your point. The pics above were provided by the seller. I wish I was cool enough to have several projects cooking at once.

What is it that you dont like about powder coating?

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
I bet that anodizeing still scratches and the how do you do a repair??It might be tough but Im willing to bet it still scratches.
just about everything we have today is from military design for example the internet thats how they whatch us white mice..

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
It chips to easy and I found the any sharp corners that is powder coated is always real thin and thats where the pealing starts on nick one the edge and it starts to delaminate in other words peels..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts