Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After careful consideration, and deep meditation, I've concluded that mine must go. Plastic housing held on by double sided tape. But what I'm wondering is - Is there anything behind them that they might be hiding? Or is it just a smooth housing. I would hate to take them off just to find some stupid design flaw and then wish I wasn't driving to the store to buy more double sided tape.

·
Registered
39,451 Posts
Nope, nothing underneath. Tried sliding waxed dental floss behind the reflector to take mine off which promptly broke. Nylon fishing line worked for me.

Then used WD-40 to clean up the remaining sticky gunk.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,176 Posts

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Whats the first thing you did when you got a bicycle???
Take the reflector off!!!
Even when we were young we already were customizing we
just didnt realize it till we were older!!:ride

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks yous' mugs. After standing back and looking, same tricks for the REAR fender reflectors? :confused:

Watch out - Dave's on the "forkin' " balls today! :rofl:

After riding at night, and I know that something COULD happen where I wouldn't have a battery, but with the lights on at night - this thing lights up better then a Christmas tree. The reflectors look purely as an after thought.

999,998,500 miles to go. :ride

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brutus - how many times did you get in trouble for leaving one of dad's tools in the driveway?

If I had a nickel for everytime....... :D

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I know I have no chance of convicing anybody that reflectors might sometime make a difference in visibility, so I won't try
Oh.........my..........god.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Brutus - how many times did you get in trouble for leaving one of dad's tools in the driveway?

If I had a nickel for everytime....... :D
So many times that he kicked my ass:bat
and gave me my own tool box and said once there gone I couldnt use his or else.
so he taught me to take care and respect my own :D
one time he took my bike for a month
but I use to take my brothers and I thought I was gettin over on him:ride

·
COB
1,984 Posts
At least you put your pants back on.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,176 Posts
I won't argue the issue of form vs function with you Mike, except to say that at the time,
and under the circumstance when you judge those reflectors to be such an intolerable eyesore,
how much does really it detract from the bike's overall aesthetic? 5% ? 7% even 10% ?
That would surely be over-focusing, wouldn't it ?
It doesn't totally destroy the look of the bike does it?

Well, let's imagine the rider is turning slightly left, it's dark, it's raining,
the cage driver has poor windshield wipers, he's approaching the intersection
from the rider's right, and from his angle of approach, he is not in the beam of the motorcycle's headlight.
W/o the reflectors, the only thing he has any real hope of seeing thru the blur of wiper-smear
and fogged windshield, is the the pitifully dim turnsignals. At that moment,
those reflectors won't make a 5% or 7% difference in visibility, they may very well
make a 300% difference in visibility. Even a 500% difference.
And at that moment, visibility may very well be a term interchangibile with survivability.

I am ABSOLUTELY, 100% CERTAIN that my 2 bikes, with the reflectors intact,
are 100% as satisfying as yours, with the reflectors removed.

If anyone gets run down in the dark and the rain because their bike isn't as visible as it could be,
they should be sure their family and friends will know to say, Yeah but you notice
how righteously clean and uncluttered that bent and mangled front end is?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I won't argue the issue of form vs function with you Mike, ?
Nathan, if you are so goddamn scared of getting in a wreck why do you even ride? There is no sensible reason for riding a motorcycle and a thousand ridiculous ones.

At a base level I understand what you are saying as I was never going to be a great desert racer because winning never meant enough to me to even ONCE spend a half hour wadded up in a ball of pain waiting for the medical helicopter to come. Thus I would never be that 5% faster than I was that was needed to win.

Your example of where a fork reflector would make any difference is so remote as to be somewhat of a phobia.

But it is your bike and your life and you can cover it with reflectors and wear a big shiny green reflective riding vest if you want. I respect that is your option but I will laugh at you. :D

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I took mine off but I am considering the 3m tape. I do like to ride at night and that seems like a good compromise.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Its like a ugly chip in your windshield your eye is always drawn to it
some people like em some dont I dont.
Theres always that fine line between govermental control or saftey.
I think other cage drivers dont give a damn either way
they will run you over in broad daylight so what do they care about
a 3 in reflector.They dont so its just preference and looks.
If I was the manufacturer I would throw 10.00 worth of reflectors on somthing to sell a 20,000. bike and its a cheap way to get
the goverment of my ass.:ride

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once they were mentioned in the other post, it's all I could see on the bike. I still think they look strictly as if they were an after thought.

I think as long as the battery holds out I'm fine. At night There's two feet of light around the bike from all of the lamps.

Which reminds me, I need to find some smaller turn signals, and get rid of those "spot lights" the bike came with. :D

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,176 Posts
Funny thing is I never seem to notice them
Pretty amazing what they do when hit with a flash or strobe.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts