Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
After 1000 miles....

Opinions vary. Corvette, Porche and others use it from new.

The whole "It's more slippery" myth has been debunked.

·
Registered
40,786 Posts
I changed oil with regular at 500 miles, again at 1500-2000 miles, then synthetic at 5000 miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have felt the difference every bike I have changed to synthetic. I have changed to synthetic at the first 1000 service on every HD I have had with no problems.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Synthetic

I think the main reason is that synthetic oil has higher viscosity values under high to extreme heat than dino-oil. And being air cooled, with factory lean AFR, it should be a no brainer. I know that it is almost twice the cost in most cases, but small price to pay for good engine health IMO.

I would for sure switch to Syn after the 1000 mile service.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DevilDogBagger, I was talking to a guy who pulled into Corbin's (Hollister, CA) who does the Iron Butt runs across Death Valley, he convinced me on AMSoil, then I went to Trick Gas in Rancho Cordova to purchase it in the gallon jug and this guy is telling me he uses it and changes his oil once a year if it needs it or not! So I'm not that gun ho about much better it is, but they have test and documentation. I change it as Harley recommends. You will feel the difference, I use the shockproof in my tranny and AMSoil in my motor.

Synthetic

I think the main reason is that synthetic oil has higher viscosity values under high to extreme heat than dino-oil. And being air cooled, with factory lean AFR, it should be a no brainer. I know that it is almost twice the cost in most cases, but small price to pay for good engine health IMO.

I would for sure switch to Syn after the 1000 mile service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts