Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Rekluse clutch on my 2014 Ultra Limited. I raced motorcross for many years and have had Rekluse auto clutches on two race bikes. I wanted to clear up some misconceptions of what it does for the bike. First your clutch is still there same as always and has the exact same feel to it. You can rev it up and dump the clutch and do a burnout if you wish. It only releases at idle, so when sitting at a light no need to hold the clutch and just a little throttle it starts moving the bike, this is a very smooth transition, easy to use. This is a set and forget setup that doesnt need tweaking constantly, it just simply works. On the dirt bikes it plays some very important rolls, one is that if you crash it keeps the motor from stalling and allows you to jump back on and go, also hard brake jabs wont kill the motor either. Its impossible to come off the line wrong also, you simply can not stall it taking off. For the street bike it has many reasons that you could want it. Parades or any stop and go traffic this makes it a one handed operation without any effort. Taking off from a stop on a uphill grade is made very simple, and for me manuvering or making tight turn is a parking lot is easier. I love the fact that its there when you need it but doesnt change anything that your use to, in fact if you were to ride it without knowing it was installed you would notice nothing different except you can let go of the clutch while sitting still. If you try one you may find its actually a performance mod and less of a beginners gadget to help someone learn to ride. In motorcross most of the winning leaders use these. I love mine, and I wont dread long parades anymore. Just my two cents - hope it helps.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Good review. And explaining how it works. I also use one on my race quad and love it. Think I will check to see if they make one for my 03 ultra

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like a nice mod but how expensive is it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mcarso1 I bought the kit through Cycle Solutions for 799.00 shipped to my door. Took an hour and half. It replaces all the fiber and steel disks. One really cool improvement was the steel basket liners, no more wear on the aluminum basket and clutch engagement is much smoother. Its well built. There was another unit on the market but priced around 1500.00

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, even though I'm a staunch leave-it-factory-stock kind of guy, I have to say that THIS is a kick ass mod that I would have a very hard time ignoring!

The "cool factor" is pretty irresistible for me at this point, and the price seems more than reasonable for what you get.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Okay, I've got a question. I get you parade example, but what about when your doing parking lot type maneuvers, U turns etc, and your trying to use the friction zone, are you saying that this allows you to just concentrate on your riding w/o having to use the clutch portion?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TPR Yes it helps but more in a tight spot where your walking your bike. I tend to do trail braking (apply rear brake and slip clutch) when manuevering with my feet up but when your feet are down and you are parking in the rough, the auto clutch comes in handy. The clutch doesn't affect your ability to trail brake. It is kinda hard to get it across how simple it works with written words but everyone who has tried mine and drove it, very quickly understood how it works. There isnt any downside to it that I can see. I imagine someone could forget they are in gear and do the usual throttle blip and get surprised when it jumped forward. I for one have always had the clutch pulled in when I have revved it up. Still the biggest benefit is the stop and go situation where your moving a few feet at a time. Traffic jamb or a parade....hands down a winner in either situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get how it works at low speeds, but how is it with up shifting? Can you just roll off the throttle and shift, or is it necessary to pull in the clutch lever? And I'm guessing down shifting is still traditional, clutch, down shift, then release. No auto clutch there, eh?

·
LukeJ
50 Posts
Very interesting.. I rode dirt bikes for years, mostly KTMs never had one on them.. But heard of them.. But I like the concept on a big street bike.. I'll just coast on this thread for now and see what people have to say.. Good thread , BikerBob!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great at low speed but...

I have had this for a year, installed bike week 2015. It worked great for a while and the last 5-6 months slips like crazy. It works great 1st, 2nd gear and third but 4th and up of you roll on the power to accelerate it just slips, the RPMs run up but now pwer is added to the wheel. I have called Rekluse and they told me to adjust the clutch, which I have done several times now to no avail. The same story, in traffic it is a dream! 1-3 gear great, after that dont bother trying to pass a car on the interstate, it ain't gonna happen. Makes riding dangerous because it takes away your acceleration option over 3rd gear.
It is bike week 2016 now, tomorrow I will go to the Rekluse reps and tell them what is happening and hopefully get a refund. Unfortunate because a disability severely curtails my riding without an auto clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mike any news i am disabled left hand rider and looking to buy the rekluse for my harley fatbob i have an emf at present which always needs adjusting and feel like life is passng me bye not being able to ride when i like

·
Registered
829 Posts
this would make a much cheaper upgrade if done when you were looking to replace the clutch anyway..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mike any news i am disabled left hand rider and looking to buy the rekluse for my harley fatbob i have an emf at present which always needs adjusting and feel like life is passng me bye not being able to ride when i like
Well i have emailed Rekluse asking to purchuse the auto clutch and apart from getting emails back asking for an address the can send the product to in the USA which i have gave the my daughters in Holloman but still nothing and a follow up email telling to deal with there Uk supplier who i have telephoned man times and the will not give me a price or deliver date i have come to the conclusion that the product is not reliable and as per there last release they havetaken it of the market

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed the Rekluse EXP 3.0 on my S&S 124 equipped 2014 Street glide. I did not use the hold down ring and instead use a Screaming Eagle AIM VPC. So far, this this Clutch has been wicked. Clutchless upshifts and downshifts are a breeze and I can't stress enough about how nice it is not to have to hold the clutch while sitting at a light or while slow-rolling in traffic. I also like the fact that if you're in gravel; you can just shift it into 2nd and work from there, giving you more control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a Rekluse clutch on my 2014 Ultra Limited. I raced motorcross for many years and have had Rekluse auto clutches on two race bikes. I wanted to clear up some misconceptions of what it does for the bike. First your clutch is still there same as always and has the exact same feel to it. You can rev it up and dump the clutch and do a burnout if you wish. It only releases at idle, so when sitting at a light no need to hold the clutch and just a little throttle it starts moving the bike, this is a very smooth transition, easy to use. This is a set and forget setup that doesnt need tweaking constantly, it just simply works. On the dirt bikes it plays some very important rolls, one is that if you crash it keeps the motor from stalling and allows you to jump back on and go, also hard brake jabs wont kill the motor either. Its impossible to come off the line wrong also, you simply can not stall it taking off. For the street bike it has many reasons that you could want it. Parades or any stop and go traffic this makes it a one handed operation without any effort. Taking off from a stop on a uphill grade is made very simple, and for me manuvering or making tight turn is a parking lot is easier. I love the fact that its there when you need it but doesnt change anything that your use to, in fact if you were to ride it without knowing it was installed you would notice nothing different except you can let go of the clutch while sitting still. If you try one you may find its actually a performance mod and less of a beginners gadget to help someone learn to ride. In motorcross most of the winning leaders use these. I love mine, and I wont dread long parades anymore. Just my two cents - hope it helps.
Do you know if it’s possible to put one of these on a 1969 shovelhead with a 4 speed ratchet top trans?

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts