Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal. I have been told by a couple mechanics that if you have a newer bike that has the O2 sensor about a foot or so below the head on the front pipe. If you try to put a set of pipes on it that are made for an older bike (that has the O2 sensor about 3 inches from the head) that the sensor will either get burnt up or not function correctly because it needs to take samples farther down the pipe. The factory placement of the rear O2 sensor is right up close to the head so I'm thinking the sensor won't get "burnt up". Any input on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Just Ride
3,212 Posts
From what I've heard the new Sensors are heated, the old were heated by the exhaust. What difference that made is beyond me. The further away possibly make a difference in readings by the Sensors.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Aren't the newer (12 &13) bung holes (and O2 snesors) different size from the previuos years with O2 sensors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They need to be a minimum of 6 inches away and angled with the flow towards the back of the pipe works best, otherwise you get a richer reading than what it actually is and it will lean your bike out....

I welded bungs on my friends thunderheader for his tuner where he wanted them a week later he was back I had to patch the holes and move them, the new locations look better to because they are hidden much better back cylinder is right above the tranny and front is down below just above the master cylinder this is on a 12' road glide

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
My '09 Rocker's factory pipes had O2 sensors up near the head. So when I put the new pipes on, I just reinstalled them where they were. No issues here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, here's the deal. I have been told by a couple mechanics that if you have a newer bike that has the O2 sensor about a foot or so below the head on the front pipe. If you try to put a set of pipes on it that are made for an older bike (that has the O2 sensor about 3 inches from the head) that the sensor will either get burnt up or not function correctly because it needs to take samples farther down the pipe. The factory placement of the rear O2 sensor is right up close to the head so I'm thinking the sensor won't get "burnt up". Any input on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm having issues with the rear cylinder o2 sensor clearing the brace that supports the coil on a 2008 fatboy with 2in1 exhaust. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
731 Posts
O2 sensors need to be as close to the exhaust port as practical. Now, packaging may force them farther downstream in the exhaust pipe, but as long as both of them are close to the same distance from the exhaust valve, it should be OK. You can get the weld on bungs and put them in a better location if you have to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you. I already took care of my little problem. I altered the coil support to accommodate the new sensors. This way the sensors remain where they belong and after a little grinding and painting it'll look fine.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts