Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have attached a couple photos of the spark plugs from a 2005 FXSTBI TC 88, not very GOOD photos, but with any luck someone will be ableto tell me if these indicate that the engine needs an EFI recal...the one with the darker colored electrode is from the rear cylinder.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Looks like your front cylinder is way too lean. Electrode's should be a nice tan color.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Quite the feminine hands you have there biker boy. :D

That front plug is WAY lean. Have you done any other mods that would lean it out? (exhaust, air filter)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, Rubberdown

Well thank you...lol (thas the wife actually):D

The only thing I've done to it is the stage 1 kit, (pipes, K n N air, remap, ect ect)

not 100% sure as to what to do, I don't wanna spend the bux for a recal if I don't need to..

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can install a Power Commander PCIII. Which will help you tune each cylinder. But you will spend more on it. I saw a few on ebay for half the price of a new one. You will appreciate the flexibity with a tuner installed.

·
Registered
40,799 Posts
Check your intake and exhaust ports for air leaks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engine was not hot when I took these out, been sittin for a few days actually..I've heard both ways whether or not I should remap it. I've heard the front cylinder is way lean and then I've also been told that it wont hurt anything to run em like they are, so I'm not really clear as to what I should or should'nt do...

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The engine was not hot when I took these out, been sittin for a few days actually..I've heard both ways whether or not I should remap it. I've heard the front cylinder is way lean and then I've also been told that it wont hurt anything to run em like they are, so I'm not really clear as to what I should or should'nt do...
Judging your A/F by those plugs is worthless.

You'll NEVER see 2 plugs identical on a Harley, (color) with the degrees of firing this engine has. The rear cylinder is always richer to some degree, just based on the location of the cylinder in conjunction to the location of the intake. The natural progression of the fuel is rearward....

Unless you're using MULTIPLE sets of plugs, and doing a throttle chop method, you'll NEVER gauge how your bike is running by a set of plugs that's been in the bike at idle, tooling around and highway use, collectively.

You'll hear 257 different opinions on why your bike is running by looking at those plugs, and they're all about as accurate as pototo salad and a spoon at a rifle range.

If you *THINK* you need to remap, you probably do, because something is leading you to that thought.

If you've done ANY mods to the bike including free-flow airfilter or exhaust, you definitely need to remap.

If you doubt this at all, take the bike and have it put on a Dyno with a minimum 2 gas analyzer, and I'll bet you the cost of the Dyno run that it's Lean in the 2900-4800 range, with a huge flat spot on the A/F line.......

Even STOCK Twin Cam bike could stand to be remapped as it has the same flat spot and lean mid-range area. That alone on a stock, twin cam bike will make the bike feel like a different machine......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the insight, the only thing that I have done in terms of mods is add the SE II equivalent pipes and the stage 1 air kit, when I did this I also had it remapped, that was about two years (12k miles) ago...

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
You can install a Power Commander PCIII. Which will help you tune each cylinder.
I don't believe PCIII doesn't have that capability, although, I believe that's only available with the Power Commander-V series, including the purchase of the Auto Tune kit, which includes Wide band O2 sensors and control boxes.......I could be wrong.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/pcvharley.htm

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well to be honest, a PC would be beneficial, but isnt an option right now, so I'm wondering what I should do just to keep the engine on an "even keel" through the riding season this year

·
What?
3,256 Posts
LOL, Rubberdown

Well thank you...lol (thas the wife actually):D
Whew, got worried there for a second....... :D

Good luck with your bike. With these guys helping out it doesn't take long to get the right answer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts