Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a thread about the V&H Fuelpak, and I posted there..but i just want to post somewhere that gets a bit more traffic.

I just bought an RSD Venturi Nostalgia A/C, D&D Bobcat 2:1 exhaust, and of course the FP3.

The Exhaust is back ordered so I'm stuck with factory exhaust for another month... but I just had HD go on and throw on my new A/C since I had to take my 48 in for it's 1k check up. The fact that it saved me the time for only $20 was well worth it.

The A/C and Dealership both say to remap the ECU, good thing I bought that Fuelpak! BUUUUUT.... it ask you for engine / aftermarket exhaust set up...and just assumes you have a stage 1 A/C.
See the problem, or am I missing something here?
There isn't an "I updated my A/C and need a map for that" option...only an "I updated my exhaust and you assume I have a better A/C" option.

I emailed V&H to ask about this, and made sure i mentioned Auto-tune being an option...but I'd rather not ride around with an improper tune while auto-tuning. I did that because I've heard they can be dodgy with answers to issues.. so I wanted a better answer than "just Auto-tune it".
Not sure how quickly they reply, but it was only about 12 hrs ago.

Any ways...the point of the rant:
Does anyone know what I can / should do!? I pick up my scoot @ 0800 from the dealer tomorrow, and I just don't wanna be running around without an updated map.

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With just the AC upgrade alone, wait til the pipes are on. No need to remap until your upgrades are done.
That's what I figured..until I read the install instructions for the A/C. They insist that you do it, and so did the Dealership today.
Also a MSgt I used work for said the same thing yesterday, that I need to remap it. He is VERY versed in motorcycles, he builds and races them.
I'm not trying to debunk your advise at all, just wondering why I wouldn't do it...if everything / everyone is saying i need to.

I do appreciate the response and advice very much!

·
Registered
241 Posts
No sweat.

Well, you can run the FP3 of you want. Believe me, I can't stand just staring at new bike parts either. But just bolting on the new AC doesn't change the tuning enough to justify a remap. Especially when you ARE going to be remapping soon as the exhaust gets added. But hey, go ahead and run the tuner. Chalk it up as practice. Nothing to lose.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No sweat.

Well, you can run the FP3 of you want. Believe me, I can't stand just staring at new bike parts either. But just bolting on the new AC doesn't change the tuning enough to justify a remap. Especially when you ARE going to be remapping soon as the exhaust gets added. But hey, go ahead and run the tuner. Chalk it up as practice. Nothing to lose.

Just sayin.

Cool, good to know that it's no big deal! I guess I could just try out the auto-tune feature then. If there's no harm in not retuning, then I can just ride around on auto-tune and see what it gives me. That'll give me some hands on practice wit that feature!

·
Registered
373 Posts
The stage one flash at Harley dealerships that the instructions an all say to use doesn't change your fuel mix anymore anyway just raises the rev limit but since you aren't paying per flash you may as well and see how it runs

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
You should be fine either way. Id go ahead and toss it on then when you get your pipes its one less thing to do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So a quick update. For anyone else in the future that may have this situation, I just picked the "Python: Sportster Slip-on's". I figured the stock exhaust is close enough to this, and then the picture it showed look identical to the stock pipes. It did work, I ended up riding her home without the tune, so after I remapped it using that set up it did run better. Still feels like it could use some tweaking, I was going to auto-tune it today since I was on the bike all day... But I wanted to see how the canned map felt for about a full tank first. I will Auto-Tune this weekend some time and give an update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts