Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted in awhile but I have a question hopefully someone can answer. I want to remove the bag supports but have no idea which bolts/hardware I am going to need once removed. It's obvious I cannot use the old hardware as it would be too long. I ride a 2005 HD Sportster 1200C. I have attached a photo as well. Thank You!

I've talked to a few buddies and they all agree it can be done but have no idea what I need to get to do it!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Unless you can get the specific bolts from the dealer, you are in for a trip to the hardware store. Someone else here can double check me on the bolts for the shocks, but I am pretty sure you are going to need at least Grade 8 bolts. I know Lowe's usually carries them, as well as most local hardware stores. Best thing to do is pull one of each off your bike, and take them with you for thread pitch and size comparison.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
It looks like the misc hardware is there, so you will only need the four bolts. 2 ea. 5/16 x1 3/8 button head,
and 2 ea 1/2 x2 1/4 button head. Grade five is fine, grade eight fine also. If you want it to look stock, go to the dealer and order the torx bolts. If not worried about stock look Lowes or ant good hardware store.

Be careful, there are some hidden, strange nuts that fit on the inside of the fender, they are special and dealer only, easy to loose, and a bitch to re-install.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Take the bolt off and go to ACE hardware and get a grade 8 or at least a grade 5 bolt the correct length and size, threads. I think is 1/2" X 2 1/2" or 3" w/ 24 thread per inch. Just take your old bolt and subtract what length you don't need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue. When i got my bike the bags were already on it so im not sure how they went on to know how to reverse the process. Do i have to put the bike on a lift? Sorry if this is stupid question. Never messed with the rear suspension before.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have the same issue. When i got my bike the bags were already on it so im not sure how they went on to know how to reverse the process. Do i have to put the bike on a lift? Sorry if this is stupid question. Never messed with the rear suspension before.

Not on a Sporty if you do one side at a time. If your hand is small enough, or you have an inspection mirror and flash light, you can check to find the fasteners under the rear fender. And if you don't have a manual already, get one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts