Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to or even if it's possible to remove battery acid stains from a primary and clutch cover. My wife bought a 96 sportster 1200 and the stains were already there. I'm pretty sure they're aluminum. Doesn't seem like the acid pitted the metal too much. Anyone ever have luck with this?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would try aluminum polish if it doesn't seem to be petted. If it is a little pitted lightly sand it with some 600 wet dry sandpaper and then polish with aluminum polish. I've used some mothers polish that worked really well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the mother's aluminum polish last night. Seemed to work a little. The areas that are really bad probably won't get much better but I'm going to pick up one of the mothers power cone polishers to try it. Save my hands the cramping and I'm sure it'll do better than by hand.

I'd love to try to sand it but since I've never sanded metal before I'm worried that I'll make it worse.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
2000 grit wet sand paper with WD40 as cutter. Polish afterwards with Mothers or similar polish.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As Dave said,2000 grit with WD40 will speed up the process and won't hurt a thing. Rub it out with rubbing compound and then polish. Polishing alone may not get the job done and takes forever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts