Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just bought a new 2014 Dyna Low Rider in silver & black (love the bike!!). I will be putting rigid mount side plates & the short rail sissy bar uprights on it later this week.

For a cleaner look I want to remove the factory reflectors before doing so. What is the easiest/safest way to remove them? I was thinking maybe heating them with a hair dryer would work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

P.S. - Pic of the new bike to come later :)

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hello all,

I just bought a new 2014 Dyna Low Rider in silver & black (love the bike!!). I will be putting rigid mount side plates & the short rail sissy bar uprights on it later this week.

For a cleaner look I want to remove the factory reflectors before doing so. What is the easiest/safest way to remove them? I was thinking maybe heating them with a hair dryer would work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

P.S. - Pic of the new bike to come later :)
Heat then use Goo Gone to remove the glue . :)

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
After heating, use dental floss or fishing line to cut through the adhesive behind the reflector. Then Goo Gone to clean up the residue. Polish the paint surface to get it shiny if necessary.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
After heating, use dental floss or fishing line to cut through the adhesive behind the reflector. Then Goo Gone to clean up the residue. Polish the paint surface to get it shiny if necessary.

Yes. Fishing line is your best bet. You may want to try and find a heat gun though. Hair dryers typically don't have as good of a heat output.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Yes. Fishing line is your best bet. You may want to try and find a heat gun though. Hair dryers typically don't have as good of a heat output.
True. But a heat gun can generate enough heat to damage paint, so be careful with it.

--

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
True. But a heat gun can generate enough heat to damage paint, so be careful with it.

--

As long as you keep it about 6-8 inches away and move it regularly it should be fine. But, good thing you brought it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts