Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and I'm officially infatuated. I'm new to the forum from the SF Bay Area and don't have a Harley of my own yet (currently have a Honda Shadow Phantom... I know, I know... let the razzing begin!) but you could say I'm officially in the market. Spent the weekend in SoCal and rented an '08 Fatboy from EagleRider in Newport Beach. Had a blast. Loved the power and the overall feel of the bike.

Put just over 300 miles on it, riding all over Orange County; from Mission Viejo / Silverado to San Clemente...

...through Laguna up to Newport Beach...

...up to Seal Beach, and back down and around and all over. Couldn't get enough. Every time I stopped my mind immediately started going back to thinking about riding. Just wanted to keep going. Had to stop now and then to hang with the wife, who was a great sport about this whole "fun weekend away that we're mostly spending apart" thing.

I got a couple hangs in at Cook's Corner, which was a blast. So many awesome bikes. Kicking myself for not getting any close-up shots.

One of the many stories that came out of the weekend happened right after making a simple right turn onto a 2-lane highway up in Silverado Canyon. I was a good ways ahead of a group that was coming up the road; they were too far to sit and wait for, so I made the turn, really got on it and was up to speed (~70 mph) in no time, but when I looked in my mirror I saw the group was 30 strong (before I made the turn it looked like there were only 4-5 of them) and were rapidly catching up. I increased my speed and then realized I shouldn't be putting myself in a place where I'm going to be leading a huge group, no matter who they are. I pulled onto the shoulder while maintaining 50-ish mph (really wide shoulders on this stretch thankfully) and holding my left hand up in the air as a sort of "I'm ok, just letting you guys by." As they thundered by me about half of them returned the wave, which I found nice, especially after noticing the patches on their backs - Mongols! I couldn't help myself; I caught up to them while keeping a good distance - wasn't about to invite myself in to a 1%er ride, but it was fun to watch a big group of them roll through the hills from a ways back.

Also rode with a few other solo riders up the coast on Monday - never said a word to any of them, but enjoyed riding with random folks.

It was such a great weekend. Yesterday was my birthday and I have to say, starting off at 7 am with a 45 mile jaunt around the hills ain't a bad way to start your birthday!

Sorry for the novel - just pretty stoked about my new Harley obsession! Trying to concentrate at work but I keep drifting off into thoughts of the weekend :D

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
... and I'm officially infatuated. I'm new to the forum from the SF Bay Area and don't have a Harley of my own yet (currently have a Honda Shadow Phantom... I know, I know... let the razzing begin!) but you could say I'm officially in the market. Spent the weekend in SoCal and rented an '08 Fatboy from EagleRider in Newport Beach. Had a blast. Loved the power and the overall feel of the bike.

Put just over 300 miles on it, riding all over Orange County; from Mission Viejo / Silverado to San Clemente...

...through Laguna up to Newport Beach...

...up to Seal Beach, and back down and around and all over. Couldn't get enough. Every time I stopped my mind immediately started going back to thinking about riding. Just wanted to keep going. Had to stop now and then to hang with the wife, who was a great sport about this whole "fun weekend away that we're mostly spending apart" thing.

I got a couple hangs in at Cook's Corner, which was a blast. So many awesome bikes. Kicking myself for not getting any close-up shots.

One of the many stories that came out of the weekend happened right after making a simple right turn onto a 2-lane highway up in Silverado Canyon. I was a good ways ahead of a group that was coming up the road; they were too far to sit and wait for, so I made the turn, really got on it and was up to speed (~70 mph) in no time, but when I looked in my mirror I saw the group was 30 strong (before I made the turn it looked like there were only 4-5 of them) and were rapidly catching up. I increased my speed and then realized I shouldn't be putting myself in a place where I'm going to be leading a huge group, no matter who they are. I pulled onto the shoulder while maintaining 50-ish mph (really wide shoulders on this stretch thankfully) and holding my left hand up in the air as a sort of "I'm ok, just letting you guys by." As they thundered by me about half of them returned the wave, which I found nice, especially after noticing the patches on their backs - Mongols! I couldn't help myself; I caught up to them while keeping a good distance - wasn't about to invite myself in to a 1%er ride, but it was fun to watch a big group of them roll through the hills from a ways back.

Also rode with a few other solo riders up the coast on Monday - never said a word to any of them, but enjoyed riding with random folks.

It was such a great weekend. Yesterday was my birthday and I have to say, starting off at 7 am with a 45 mile jaunt around the hills ain't a bad way to start your birthday!

Sorry for the novel - just pretty stoked about my new Harley obsession! Trying to concentrate at work but I keep drifting off into thoughts of the weekend :D
Hook.
Line.
Sinker.

You be been snagged by the Harley bug. You are officially an addict. Congradulations!! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of a Harley YOU own.

Are you thinking a new Fatboy for sure or what??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Looks like a great time......Welcome to the forum.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
great experience right there!

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! Yes indeed, I've been bitten by the bug. I've got an appt for Sat morning as soon as House of Thunder opens - test riding a Fatboy and a Fatboy Lo. Bringing my bike to see what they'd do for a trade-in. Do they rape you as bad as car salesmen or do they at least use lube?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
36 Posts
I rode in to a dealer on a sportster to look at tshirts and the sales guy saw me eyeball a Fatboy. I told him I wasnt in a position to take on a higher payment and didnt think I would qualify for the loan without a down payment. He then, very cleverly, told me to take the Fatboy for a test ride while he did the paper work and when I got back he would let me know. I thought fine, I'll get a free ride on one. The second I pulled out of the parking lot I knew I was going to do whatever it took to go home on that bike and thats exactly what happened. Good luck with getting yours. You'll love it. And dont worry about what you're riding now, you have to start somewhere, for me it was a Virago.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rode in to a dealer on a sportster to look at tshirts and the sales guy saw me eyeball a Fatboy. I told him I wasnt in a position to take on a higher payment and didnt think I would qualify for the loan without a down payment. He then, very cleverly, told me to take the Fatboy for a test ride while he did the paper work and when I got back he would let me know. I thought fine, I'll get a free ride on one. The second I pulled out of the parking lot I knew I was going to do whatever it took to go home on that bike and thats exactly what happened. Good luck with getting yours. You'll love it. And dont worry about what you're riding now, you have to start somewhere, for me it was a Virago.
Nice - I have a feeling I'll be going through the same thought process on Saturday... I'm going in thinking "be strong, don't do anything stupid" but I'm sure as soon as I'm out on that thing my brain will switch to "do whatever the f*** you have to do to make this thing yours!" And yeah, I've loved the Phantom - put V&H shortshots on it, a Mustang seat, bags, risers, etc, but after riding that Fatboy all weekend this morning's ride to work just wasn't the same.

Welcome to the forum from Minnesota !!
Thanks! I was born in Detroit Lakes, later lived in Hutchinson, went to college in Mankato and my Grandma lives in Windom. Say hi to the Land o' Lakes for me!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice - I have a feeling I'll be going through the same thought process on Saturday... I'm going in thinking "be strong, don't do anything stupid" but I'm sure as soon as I'm out on that thing my brain will switch to "do whatever the f*** you have to do to make this thing yours!"
I went in on a Saturday and the one thing that almost prevented me from being able to take it home that day was not being able to get a hold of my insurance agent. Luckily, I had switched from progressive to farm bureau and my progressive wasnt due to expire for another 3 days and I was able to get a hold of someone there to switch it from the sportster to the Fatboy otherwise there would have been a couple of sleepless nights knowing it was mine but I couldnt ride it home.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was in the market for a Fatboy a year ago. Then, on the way home one day, I saw a Harley for sale on the side of the road. Private sale, guy was selling a Road King Custom. Looked to me like a Fatboy on steroids! I demo'ed one at the local dealer and loved it. Went back and bought it from that guy. Got a helluva deal on a low mileage bike. Still love the Fatboy but couldn't be happier with what I've got! I'd recommend taking a look at RK Customs and standard RKs if you want something newer.

Steve

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Welcome and Congrats on your new love!!!!

Ride any other models you may be interested inbefore you pull the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went in on a Saturday and the one thing that almost prevented me from being able to take it home that day was not being able to get a hold of my insurance agent. Luckily, I had switched from progressive to farm bureau and my progressive wasnt due to expire for another 3 days and I was able to get a hold of someone there to switch it from the sportster to the Fatboy otherwise there would have been a couple of sleepless nights knowing it was mine but I couldnt ride it home.
Good thought - thanks! Just made a note to call State Farm tomorrow to see what needs to happen IF the deal goes down on Saturday.

I was in the market for a Fatboy a year ago. Then, on the way home one day, I saw a Harley for sale on the side of the road. Private sale, guy was selling a Road King Custom. Looked to me like a Fatboy on steroids! I demo'ed one at the local dealer and loved it. Went back and bought it from that guy. Got a helluva deal on a low mileage bike. Still love the Fatboy but couldn't be happier with what I've got! I'd recommend taking a look at RK Customs and standard RKs if you want something newer.
LOVE Road Kings! Fatboy on steroids is a great description! The dealership I'm going to (that I've already been to 4-5x) actually has one that about knocks me over every time I see it - it's so f'n beautiful: '07 FLHRS Road King Custom. So here's my issue, and please correct me if I'm wrong... I'm a daily commuter, and the thought of riding a RK through Bay Area traffic, where lane splitting is legal and something I do every day -saves me 20 minutes each way- I just don't see the RK as a good choice at this point. Some day for sure. But for now I think the Fatboy is my ride. I had no issue navigating through traffic down in SoCal last weekend and it was crazy because of the holiday weekend - felt totally comfortable on it. I dunno... we'll see when Saturday comes! I'll at least test ride the RK, and it is $7k cheaper than the new Fatboy...

Welcome and Congrats on your new love!!!!

Ride any other models you may be interested inbefore you pull the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.
Thanks guys!!

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Welcome from Texas......your hooked now....you will love what ever you decide to get...and great pics...

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aww crap... I'm done for. I can't even wait til Saturday - ditching out early today to go test ride the FB and the RK. I'm hoping if I just get this out of the way I'll finally be able concentrate on work again. I'm just doing my employer a favor, really.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I like the way you think.... will standby for which one it turns out to be tonight.....

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm weak. But I'm in love.

More photos tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts