Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only really tacky part of the 2006 I bought last year is the rim around the speedo. The paint is peeling. While I have been painting bikes for well over 30 years now, I haven't had to deal with something so small before.

I realize the most straight forward way of doing this is carefully masking the speedo, sand, and repaint, but I thought I would put the question forward if anyone has approached this before and has any tips to make the job easier.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are you talking about the bezel around the speedometer? If so just remove it. Small things like that usually end up looking pretty good with rattle can paint if you can match the color right.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the bezel around the speedometer? If so just remove it. Small things like that usually end up looking pretty good with rattle can paint if you can match the color right.
Yes, bezel. I haven't had the speedo off for so long I did not know it was removable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't remove the bezel easily (I have the speedo off). I am masking it and sanding by hand.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did it in two hours. looks great. Blue painter's tape and a razor blade were all I needed for prep. Sanded with 220/320.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts