Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine went down on his Heritage last month. He wasn't paying attention in traffic making a left after a light and a little too close. A car in front of him swirved out of the lane leaving him looking at a stopped car. He skidded and layed it down at around 20mph or less instead of hitting the car. Bike didn't flip and roll or anything spectacular like flip off the bridge, it just scrapped up and smashed the left side. He took it to Destination Harley here in Tigard and got the repair bill, $8500 bucks. I thought he could buy a new bike for that price. He said they are replacing the frame, many parts that he doesn't remember being messed up. They are replacing both saddle bags even though there was no right side damage. I wish I could have sent him to my Indy before he had them do the damage repair. I told him live and learn and STOP going to that dealer, they are the most expensive around. The bike wasn't under warrenty.
WTF? could it have sustained that much damage???

·
Registered
94 Posts
I laid my old bike down doing 35mph, on its side, it spun 3 times on the ground and the right side of the bike was a little banged up. The only damage was the headlight housing, few scrapes on the paint! It was no where near totaled!

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
According to the dealer at the house, they dont paint and repair. They order new parts from the moco and fix it that way. So by the time you figure in moco premium price tag on replacement parts i can omagine 8500 about right.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
When a big highway bar equipped Harley goes down, the crash bar rips the center mounting nut away from the frame. Like previously stated, they don't paint or weld, so a new frame is added. That's a lot of labor.
When the dealer does the estimate if the owner is not standing there (and who is allowed in the service bay),they will often add every nick and scrape they see to the estimate, whether it pertains to the accident or not.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, said they were sending new painted tins, the 2 tone orange.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
You didn't say whether or not insurance was covering the damage. If so, let the insurance company take issue with the dealer's prices.

If he didn't have collision insurance shame on him and I bet he gets it now.

·
Try'n to behave
5,861 Posts
Insurance or out of pocket? If he paid that ticket on his own dime, I would be asking for ALL the old parts. Make 'em prove they "repaired" that part. Plus he will have spares....

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
He took it to Destination Harley here in Tigard and got the repair bill, $8500 bucks. I told him live and learn and STOP going to that dealer, they are the most expensive around. The bike wasn't under warrenty.
WTF? could it have sustained that much damage???
Got to call you on this.
DESTINATION HARLEY DAVIDSON IS LOCATED IN FIFE /TACOMA WASHINGTON..... what dealership are you talking about???

Are you talking about Paradise Harley who is located in Tigard OR?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
LABOR INTENSIVE !!!
And most Stealerships charge Lawyer prices ( over $100.00 ) per hour .
With a frame change thats an easy $8000.00 .

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
A Heritage takes about 10 - 12 hours for a frame up plus any other extras like swapping out accessories and bag hinges etc. $8500.00 is in the ball park.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, said they were sending new painted tins, the 2 tone orange.
HD painted tins can get very expensive. The whole set can be a couple thousand + depending on the paint. I damaged the front fender on my fatboy, a new fender from HD was $500 and I installed it. At least your husband wasn't hurt, metal can always be fixed

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
Got to call you on this.
DESTINATION HARLEY DAVIDSON IS LOCATED IN FIFE /TACOMA WASHINGTON..... what dealership are you talking about???

Isn't there a Destination up in the Bremerton/Silverdale area as well? I used to live there, but it was years ago so I could be completely full of it. I do recall them having multiple locations, though.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got to call you on this.

Opps, yeah you're right, I'm showing my age big time. It used to be Destination but now it's Paradise. I have an old t-shirt when they were Destination, so the name is stuck in my head. He had insurance so he's covered, but when you take a hit like that on your insurance, they start getting edgey. His bike is down for 8 weeks. He should have gone to Columbia in Vancouver, better shop, lower prices all the way around.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HD painted tins can get very expensive. The whole set can be a couple thousand + depending on the paint. I damaged the front fender on my fatboy, a new fender from HD was $500 and I installed it. At least your husband wasn't hurt, metal can always be fixed
My husband? Say what? LOL... not!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not sure where I got that from either!! Sh$t, think I'm spending too much time on the forums, gotta get back to riding ,whewww

1 - 20 of 22 Posts